Flushing Oil

Whats the consensus of opinion on flushing oil?. The idea seems reasonable. I,m sure my 70 Squareback still running original engine has collected some gunge internally but on the basis "if it aint broke dont fix it" I,m inclined to leave it. Cheers John

Reply to
John

What type of oil are you using? Non-detergent or detergent? Single weight or multi? How often do you change it? You can change the oil more often and change when warm but not too hot.

I don't like the idea of "flushing" out an engine. If there is too much crud in there and it gets released, it could clog your strainer and cause damage to the bearings and crank. JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Greetings! I will need to flush my oil due to collapsed fuel pump that allowed lots of fuel to drain into the crankcase. I will be replacing fuel pump next week as Beetle(74 Type1) has now been winter(Winnipeg-Canada) stored since the pump situation.It was not driven after this discovery-smell & leak in own driveway.Disconnected and plugged fuel lines ASAP. It was suggested that I drain all the polluted oil, replace drain cap and add 2 pints of 10w30 inexpensive oil- run it for 5 minutes -check to see that fuel pump is not leaking again and then drain it entirely-clean filter and replace cap with new gaskets,etc and then add good quality 15w40 oil and all should be.OK. Any other advice out there in Beetle-Land? Cheers ART

Reply to
LordPacal

yup, drain/fill with cheap and run for 5, till warm. then drain/fill with good oil :-)

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

reasonable.

Reply to