Series gearbox suppliers

Anyone have any recommendations for a supplier of reconditioned Series gearboxes, other than LEGS? Thanks! Simon

Reply to
Simon Oates

Where are you and what's wrong with it?

Reply to
Oily

I'm near Manchester, and I fear it's a "them" rather than an "it". It's a bit of a long story, involving swapping gearboxes between various Series IIs and IIIs to get the right gearbox in the right vehicle, but, basically, I have two gearboxes with problems. One is an iffy Series III box that jumps out of 1st under load, and the other a Series II box that sounds as if it's lost a tooth or two, in that it clicks and snatches in 1st and reverse but seems to be ok in all the other gears. I don't much fancy stripping and rebuilding either box myself, so am looking for either properly reconditioned exchange units, or a professional rebuild. The Series III box is now out of its vehicle and on a pallet, the Series II box is still in its vehicle waiting to be changed for a good Series II box that I have still to pull out of a Series III (which in due course will get the repaired/exchange Series III box to restore it to original spec.) The repaired Series II box is then to go into another vehicle, a hybrid that currently has a Series III box with iffy synchromesh. As I said, it's a bit of a long story!

Reply to
Simon Oates

repaired/exchange

I'm near Manchester (east) and I've got lots of parts, new and s/hand and I can rebuild them all for you if you want. Just that I'm getting a bit old and knackered for lifting them out and in but no problems working on the bench. Or I can just find you the parts that you want if you are interested. Or I can point you in the direction of a good repairer. :-)

Reply to
Oily

repaired/exchange

Series III could be a few faults, worn synchro, worn 1st mainshaft gear, worn 1st/2nd selector fork (and they do wear badly), detent springs, loose rear nut on mainshaft or rear mainshft bearing housing loose in case etc. Series II will just be 1st gear layshaft (511189) but it will pay to check the 1st and 2nd mainshaft gears etc. and it will want a front layshaft bearing at the very least.

Reply to
Oily