Series II Quistion

Hello all, I have a LHD '61 88" series II that was saved from being parted out, so therefore there are parts missing. I'm 99% done with rewiring it front to rear, and have replaced the headlight dimmer switch. My question is: isn't there supposed to be something there to protect the back of the switch and the related wiring from the debris thrown up from the left front tire? I do have the mud shield, part # 330447 in place. Best regards, Chris Houck California

Reply to
Chris

A rubber boot - that fills with water and dirt, shorts out and fuses the whole wiring loom.

What the hell is the switch doing on the inside of the wheel arch? It should just mount onto the footwell in an easy to get at position behind the clutch pedal.

Reply to
Roger

Left hand drive the clutch is on the left init? next to the wheel arch other wise t'would be next to the loud pedal . Funny I had a quick look in the the 'prince of sudden lack of lightness' catalogue no metion of the boot maybe it was discontinued? big lump of waterproof grease I reckon but Oily should have a solution he has plenty of experience of 2 n 3's Derek

Reply to
Derek

It's sounding more & more like I'm going to have to make my own metal shield to correct LR's design fault. Studebaker would NEVER have done this to their cars. Best regards Chris

Reply to
Chris

Cover the whole lot in clear silicon sealer, the type used for sealing around baths etc, effective but impossible to get off in any sensible manner if you ever need to change the switch.

Gerald

Reply to
idris

good thought or even hot melt glue that seems to be a favourite in the electronics trade. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Creative adaptations like this are all part of the fun. If you want a motoring experience free of owner input, get a Toymota.

Actually, strike that. My boss ran a RAV4 and it was nowt but trouble.

Probably not. Just remind me - how many Studebakers are still giving good service 30, 40 and 50 years after manufacture?

Reply to
Rich B

What's a Studebaker? (tongue poking out my ear)

Reply to
Roger

SWMBO (the new one) drives a RAV4. I change it's oil, fettle it's brakes and fill it with petrol - it never gives problems (I wish I could say the same for her) and just flies through it's MOT.

Reply to
EMB

Sounds like a purveyor of foreign bread or summat.

Reply to
EMB

Well, my other obsession is a '55 Studebaker Champion 2 door 16G6 sedan, with the wrap around windshield that was introduced in the second half of the model year,which looks mostly like the one shown here six from the top.

It has a 185CID flathead six engine, three speed transmission with overdrive and a "hill holder" brake. I drive it all over the western USA. I also have two more Studebakers, a '52 1/2 ton pickup truck and a '59 Lark IV. But the Champion is the pick of the litter. And yes, Studebakers are a bit of a sickness. Sadly, because my confuser is hiding my pictures from me, I cannot at this time show you the picture of my two toys parked next to each other. However, I've wanted a Series 'Rover since I was a small child, when I saw a Matchbox toy Land Rover for the first time. Finally I've got full sized one, although it's just about a half step away from a basket base. So I'm having fun figuring out what goes where, and correcting all the crimes done to it by the past owners.

BTW, at my local car parts store, it's much easier to find Studebaker ( which went out of business in 1966 ) parts there than Land Rover, and I enjoy the challenge otherwise I would've bought another Jeep ( I've also got a '89 Jeep Comanche pickup truck, bought new with 7 miles on it, that I've put over 260,000 on the original clutch ) for my collection.

So far I'm really enjoying my Land Rover experience. Best to all, Chris Houck Pacheco, California

52 Studebaker truck 55 Studebaker Champion 59 Studebaker Lark IV 61 Land Rover 88" Series II 66 BSA Thunderbolt 89 Jeep Comanche 93 Ford F350 4X4

"> Probably not. Just remind me - how many Studebakers are still giving good

Reply to
Chris

regards, Chris Houck

Reply to
Chris

Em... at least Studebaker don't have a manufacturing problem anymore!

Reply to
Dougal

Oh! I'm managing with it but still prefer agent on the wife's computer.

AJH

Reply to
andrew heggie

It was doing my tree in how it didnt seem to want to mark threads as having new posts in before you expanded them and i havent reinstalled it yet since a forced reinstall. I am missing the 'q' and 'f' keys though so might give it a try again..

Reply to
Tom Woods

I'm on the wife's pc (saves booting mine up) but I use the filters to just show new or unread messages on pan and mark all newsgroups as read as I exit. I did have agent running under wine but didn't figure how to get it to save the updated database on exit, so needed to start from scratch each time. I'm getting fairly comfortable with using linux but simple things (current one is updating firefox when it isn't supported in repository) still fool me.

BTW I still have that gearbox for you.

AJH

Reply to
AJH