series power steering

Hi can anyone tell me how easy it is to fit power steering to a series3 using parts from a 90 or something else. i know chris perfect do a kit but it is rather expensive and i have been told that they are not particularly good.

thanks for any help Dave

Reply to
Splitpin

Unless you are patricularly good fabricator/welder then fitting the power steering off a 90 etc is not really a practical proposition - plus it would lamost certainly give you problems with insurance.If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It doesnt look that complex a job! (assuming that 90 power steering isnt to dissimilar to RR power steering!). A weekends work I reckon. Doesnt look like a huge amount of welding and grinding.

I thought that it was a fiarly common thing to do. Definately is with

101's and that cant be any more complex a job! (or are 101 owners just more determined? :) )

There are plenty of writeups on the net if you search, and I've seen a few articles and how-tos in the mags.

Reply to
Tom Woods

With 101's its a case of the wider the tyres the stronger the arms needed to steer the darn thing at stopped or low speeds, thats why power steering mod is so popular steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Like I said - if it was easy, everyone would be doing it! The 101 isn't a Series II/III.......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The 101's are essentially based on a rangey chassis aren't they?? which further backs up your point Richard.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

101's are based on RR running gear not chassis. They are leaf sprung too. The chassis is probably equally similar to both RR and series vehicles in that its made of box section and has 2 main rails and outriggers/x-members.
Reply to
Tom Woods

Check out

Doorbell

Not exactly "based on RR running gear". More the case of the two types, which were developed at the same time, sharing engine and gearbox/transfer case. Axles are not shared (and are not shared with any other Landrovers either), and as you say, they are leaf sprung, and the wheels and brakes are not shared with any other Landrover. JD

Reply to
JD

Actually the 101 was first - the gearbox was developed for the 101 and then used on RR. Th story for the engine is less clear, the V8 had been been messed around with for a number of years before finding it's first production home in the 101. The brakes are the same as Series II/III 1-Ton and Stage 1 V8.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Well, i stand partialy corrected. but getting back to the point, it may or may not be easier to fit p/s to a 101 or a standard LWB series, but more importantly i think people are more likely to fit p/s to a 101 out of necessity.

As well as the fact that most of those wackos that own one of these unruly beasts (i myself wish i was also such a wacko) are very committed to them, which may transpire to them spending more time, effort and money to get the vehicle into a very useable state. Thereby being more likely to install p/s.

and getting back to the original point, i have no idea how hard it is to fit p/s to a series landy.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Power steering is not needed on a 101 unless you are a) very weedy or b) do lots of very low speed manoeuvering

Once rolling at all it is very easy to drive.

Oh, or c) fat enough to need a small steering wheel.

No names....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Same comments apply to Series Landrovers. Power steering is generally not needed provided the front tyre pressures are correct and the tyre sizes are at least close to those specified, subject to your specified conditions. JD

Reply to
JD

Learn something every day! I did not know the brakes were the same as the One Ton/Stage 1 (V8 & 3.9 diesel), although, of course the drums are not the same as the stud pattern is not. Although the 101 appeared before the RR my understanding is that the gearbox was developed for both. I seem to remember that the V8 first appeared in the 3.5 saloon. JD

Reply to
JD