Series 3 axles

Hi

I have a 1982 Series 3 109 and I need

1 X FRC3907 - Half Shaft - Front LH 24 Spline - 88 and 109 from 1980 onward

OR

1 X AEU1827 - STUB SHAFT - 24 spline - OCTOBER 1980 ONWARDS

(the seal surface on the stub shaft is kaput)

I'm having difficulty finding one of the above at a resonable price.

Does anyone know the difference between pre and post 1980 halfshalfts. Or does anyone know where I can get one.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

Ian McDonald

Reply to
Doorbell

Not absolutely certain, but I think the post 1980 only applies to 88s - The

24 spline ones were fitted to all S3 109s, but only to late 88s. But it is possible that the shaft changed when the stub axles changed, although I don't think so. JD
Reply to
JD

I dont recall these being too bad when i did mine a few years back. I put LWB brakes on the front of my SWB and it cost me less than £100 to do it with new swivel seals and all bearings and brake bits and other seals IIRC

Different numbers of splines. older ones have a lot fewer bigger splines at the hub end. You could fit the older ones but then you would have to change your hub too.

Reply to
Tom Woods

AEU1827 is the half of the half shaft from the UJ to the drive flange for post October 1980 vehicles, FRC3907 is the whole LH half shaft from October 1980.

Pre Oct 1980, LWB were 24 spline, SWB 12 spline. Post Oct 1980 the "Rationalised Axles" were introduced, all being 24 spline and the same on 190 & 88" vehicles. Pre 1980 LWB half shafts and the post 1980 half shafts are interchangeable.

The stub shaft (AEU1827) is available under the part number for the earlier 109 version (608023 - £23.03 inc VAT here)

As for cheap ones.......

Have a look on eBay for item no. 4552685429 for a lifetimes supply - starting at 99p!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks everybody for your help. And thanks to Richard for clearing up the differance between the pre and post Oct. 1980 axles.

Reply to
Doorbell