Servicing a Disco 300TDI 1996

Hi all,

Gonna give my Disco 2.5TDI XS (1996) it's first service tomorrow. There seems to be dire warnings in the manaul about being careful to fill the new oil filter so as not to bleed the oil pump and starve it.

I don't normally fill the oil filter with new oil (on my old 200TDI's) - is it necessary?

Yours

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

On or around Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:46:59 GMT, "Andrew Renshaw" enlightened us thusly:

that's on V8s, mostly. mind, I always fill the oil filters with oil anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Andy:

I am told that the sequence for an oil change in a LR V8 is to drain the sump, fill the sump, detach the filter, attach a new filter after applying new oil to the rubber gasket then crank engine. If your overly concerned with a dry start some suggest to pull the distributor and cranking the engine. I've never heard of the pump losing prime in a newer vehicle. Sounds like something left over from the Series LR.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

On or around Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:49:51 -0500, "Jack" enlightened us thusly:

it can happen in theory on any pre-thor V8 - the pump doesn't self-prime so if you get it drained, then it results in hassle. The theory is that with the sump empty and the oil filter off the pump could drain.

your sequence sounds right, though. Personally, I part-fill the oil filter before screweing it on, but then I do that on all vehicles with cartridge filters, on the basis that it should reduce the low-oil-pressure period on restart.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Andrew Renshaw came up with the following;:

Not necessary on the 300 Tdi, and probably not on many other engines, but I've always filled cartridge oil filters, not necessarily to the brim, so there's at least some oil to get round the pump when it starts.

Reply to
Paul - xxx