SIII bulkhead corner brackets

I'm very interested in Tom Wood's reply to McBad's posting of 1 Oct. re 90 bulkhead bolts. My questions concern the L-shaped brackets which McBad's bolts hold to the front chassis outriggers, and the long leg of which goes up to support the lower door hinge.

1) Can corrosion of this bracket be an MOT failure point? 2) How difficult are they to take off and replace? It looks as if, once all bolts are removed, they may pull out downwards (corrosion permitting!), to allow replacements to be slotted up. Or am I being niaive??

Any info/experiences would be appreciated.

SFHL

Reply to
SFHL

During stardate Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:58:38 +0100, "SFHL" uttered the imortal words:

Depends on the tester perspective but I would say yes, this is a structural part of the vehicle and holds part of the body to the chassis. The question you need to ask is IF they passed it would you be happy to drive it in a rollover? I wouldn't want to be in one regardless.

I weld mine to the door pillar and ITIRIS that they should be , otherwise it's just a OTT door support.

a picture is worth a thousand words as they say...

HTH

Lee D

--

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

The "feet" are spot welded to the pillars - about 6 spots if I remember right.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks for the replies - very helpful. Clearly a job for someone with more Landie experience!

SFHL

Reply to
SFHL

If they are as corroded as the ones on my bulkhead were when i got it then they are very easy to remove! I lifted the bulkhead off leaving the legs attached to the chassis

Reply to
Tom Woods