Rebuilding a SIII

It's all in bits........ I'm going to replace the wheel bearings and axle seals and also the gearboxes and engine seals and the clutch release bearing (as its whining) Is there anything else I should be replacing whilst it's easily accessible? Is anyone else currently putting one back together? Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon

Currently halfway though a complete ground up rebuild on my series 11, which is in the garage, with the rest of it piled up under the kitchen window, much to the horror of the long suffering girl-friend.

accessible?

Reply to
Igundwane

It's all in bits - even the hard top is flat packed. When you say kitchen window, I take it we're talking the outside and not in the sink..... Jon

Reply to
Jon

Yep All Outside .... Ground rules were well and truely in place before it started.

Work to date which may give you an indication; Replacement 1/4 chassis. All New Outriggers and Dumb Irons New Bushes & Shackles in Rear Springs Rear Springs, stripped, ground down, oiled and all nuts and bolts replaced. Chassis & rear axle stripped back to bare metal rust treated, chassis painted, axle awaiting preperation. Rear Diff Stipped and cleaned, all seals replaced. All brake lines stripped off.. To be Renewed. Gearbox out, stripped and cleaned, and all seals replaced. Propshafts off, de-greased, de-rusted, and 1st coat of paint on them. Bulkhead, new footwells made and welded in. New Doorpillar repair panels, awaiting welding this week. Engine out, stripped, cleaned and all parts that need replacing are there. Brake and Clutch assemblies Stripped, De-rusted and are awaiting final coatings. Handbrake unit stripped, de-rusted and then regreased. All ancilleries off the engine have been de-rusted and preped and are awaiting a final colour choice.

Front axle and springs need to come off again, decided to finish re-bushing them, springs to be stripped and re-built same as the rear. Front Diff to recieve same treatment.

Got had on 4 new shocks so they are going to have to wait a while.

Carnt get the wheels off the hubs though, seems some idiot put them on with an airgun, tried on the front and managed to remove not only the wheel but all the studs @ the same time. So am thinking quietly on that @ current.

Front swivels, will have to be disassembled, however replacing them is going to have to wait until next year. Budget !!

Reply to
Igundwane

Something I found very handy when stripping all the metal bits etc, was a company called Dale UK.

Had some very useful Chemicals, highly Potent... but Extremely effective. Beat that hammerite de-rusting stuff hands down.

Very helpful company if you need stuff like that, you buy it in 10ltr containers @ a fraction of the cost that you would pay elsewhere.

Reply to
Igundwane