SIII Petrol - Timing and dwell angle

On or around Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:21:15 -0700, "Diogenes" enlightened us thusly:

advance the timing until it starts to pink under load going up hill, then back it off about 2-3 degrees.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi,

What are the 'best' settings for the timing and dwell angle for a 2 1/4 petrol running on unleaded ?

3 bearing engine, weber carb.

Grateful for any tips on setting timing etc

Thanks

Andrew

Reply to
Diogenes

Erm, this isn't the original engine is it?

Reply to
Mother

Here's a summary of the info I've picked up over the years.

The 2.25 petrol engine is not designed to run on unleaded fuel, as without the lead, or a substitute, the engine suffers from valve-seat erosion.

The solution is to fit hardened valve seats.

Since this required the existing valve seats to be cut back anyway, some erosion can be tolerated. Keep an eye on the valve clearances.

In any case, erosion is worst with sustained high-speed running.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Original engine, saving up for an unleaded head !!

Reply to
Diogenes

On or around Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:51:31 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.demon.co.uk ("David G. Bell") enlightened us thusly:

The word from the LPG brigade is that some will erode and some won't, mostly dependant on driving style as you say. The advice is much similar, run it as is, check valve clearances regularly, and if it erodes, get hardened seats fitted.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As if that matters, when my engine is truly knackered it will be cheaper to get a replacement than to go in for any head conversion bollox. Valve seat erosion is the last thing I have to worry about I reckon.

As for high speed driving are we talking about 50 mph here :)

Reply to
Larry