Slack in drive shafts

1986 90 2.5 petrol. 50,000 miles

Having checked and greased the UJs etc I notice there is a lot more slack than I would expect in the drive shafts. This seems to come from the gearbox/transfer box as the shafts themselves are OK. Is there a known problem that is fixable or am I looking for a new gearbox and/or transfer box in the near future?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

It's probably normal.

Reply to
Dougal

I think it's a bit more than normal, it makes the vehicle difficult to drive for anyone else, lots of jolting gearchanges etc.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

It's not new but if 50,000 is genuine and it has not been grossly abused it's barely run in! If the UJs are OK there's not much else to go wrong. A lot of 'slack' is normal.

I think that you've suggested the 'cause' - technique! If you can drive it smoothly then so can others.

Reply to
Dougal

A dragging handbrake is a common cause of driving difficulty, that is often blamed on the slack in transmission - it ensures the slack is reversed every gear change, making it very difficult to change smoothly. Usually either rusted up handbrake mechanism or oil leaking onto the brake shoes.

John

Reply to
JD

seconded - i was about to suggest that! I tried loads of things before looking at the handbrake - which was the cause of my funny gear changes.

Reply to
Tom Woods

"Tom Woods" wrote >>

50,000 miles appears to be genuine from all the previous Main Agent bills etc from the original owner.

Don't think it's the handbrake, the 90 is quite easy to push and I can't imagine it would be with a sticky handbrake. So it's normal then, I'll forget about it and concentrate of all the other things where time has taken it's toll. :-(

Reply to
Bob Hobden