Cruise control on a focus

I have a 04 plate (uk) Focus TDCI 115 zetec which up to now i think is a superb car, however recently i have been driving my fathers mondeo zetec that is fitted with cruise control and am really liking it as it stops me driving over 100mph (which is way to easy to do in both cars).

Does anyone know if there is a cruise control kit that can be fitted to this model of focus, or can it be added by the dealership (assuming one is even available through ford)

For the sake of my licence i hope there is

Reply to
adcb

Sorry, I think you are going to be disappointed.

AFAIAK, cruise is only available on Ghia variants, and dealers will not retrofit even to them.

I'm not sure about '04, but earlier cars had all the brackets and wiring in place to make a conversion possible. In the USA, kits are available to convert their Focii, but I doubt they would be suitable for a UK TDCI. If you are determined that might be your only option.

The best place to ask might be here:

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You can buy genuine cruise control kits for the Focus which includes replacing the steering wheel with one that has the buttons, (pic of a US one at

so it's not really cheap - but a lot of dealers are discounting now that the new model is out.

I have heard a rumour that fitting it is worth 8 hours labour though!

MK

Reply to
MK

MK wrote:

Bear in mind that the OP's car is a TDCI. The US cars don't even have the same *petrol* engines as in the UK. I don't think that a kit conversion from America would interface either physically or in respect of the software.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

J.C. Whitney sells at least one cruise control kit that is billed as "universal". Years ago, I installed such a kit on a Toyota pickup and it was fairly straightforward. Of course the one caveat here is the diesel application, so a bit of research will be needed to see if in fact one of these kits will work or can be adapted.

Matt Focus owner

Reply to
Matt Mead

In alt.autos.ford.focus adcb :

It would probably be OTT retrofitting the original Ford cruise control, but there are after-market parts that should work:

Michael Heiming

Try Rostra.

Good equipment - easy install, excellent instructions. I've been running one for about 6 years with no faults. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It is not possible to retrofit Cruise to the TDCi without replacing the ECU alas. (why can't Ford programme all the same like VAG do?)

This has a drive by wire throttle so it ought to be an easy peasy retrofit, but for some reasons the ECU's are not the same unit as cruise equiped cars. :(

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Good point - maybe a vacuum operated cheaper aftermarket cruise would fulfill the requirement.

I'm going to have my dealer fit the genuine cruise kit to my 2.0 Zetec at my next service - if the fitting costs aren't too high. The cruise control kit price have come down 50% this month.

It involves replacing the steering wheel and fitting the cruise module under the bonnet, but I'm not sure if the ECU is affected.

MK

Reply to
MK

Yes it is possible to fit a cruise control kit to a UK model ford focus I purchased an OEM kit from a company in the USA. The bad news is they fit the Zetec petrol engine and another American petrol engine variant the CVH I do not think that a diesel engine variant is sold in the USA ~In the 2001 2.0i Ghia model I have all the cables and connectors were pre fitted in the car even though the FORD dealers informed me it was impossible to fit a cruse control kit in the model the cruse control was offered as an optional extra in the 02 model year. It was a 2 hour job to fit the kit I took photos showing how the work was carried out. I have another complete Ford OEM cruise control kit sitting in my garage with fitting instructions which was to be fitted in the replacement Focus I was going to buy this is now surplus as the new model I purchased had the cruise control fitted as standard. The photo,s I took during the installation show the connectors, if fitted in your car mean the kit should be a bolt on job. I have tried to attach the photos to this reply but without success.

Reply to
peter.holland4

Most if not all news servers will reject binary attachments in text only news groups.

You might try posting them at news:alt.binaries.pictures.autos and post a massage here to the subject header in that group.

Another option is to use the web space provided by your ISP provided your contract with your ISP has provision for subscriber web sites.

Last options e-mail the images to me with a text discription and I will host them on my web site.

remove * in e-mail address

Reply to
John R Cambron

Reply to
mikl

"peter.holland4" wrote: > Yes it is possible to fit a cruise control kit to a UK model > ford focus I > purchased an OEM kit from a company in the USA. The bad news > is they fit the > Zetec petrol engine and another American petrol engine variant > the CVH I do > not think that a diesel engine variant is sold in the USA > ~In the 2001 2.0i Ghia model I have all the cables and > connectors were pre > fitted in the car even though the FORD dealers informed me > it was > impossible to fit a cruse control kit in the model the cruse > control was > offered as an optional extra in the 02 model year. It was a > 2 hour job to > fit the kit I took photos showing how the work was carried > out. I have > another complete Ford OEM cruise control kit sitting in my > garage with > fitting instructions which was to be fitted in the > replacement Focus I was > going to buy this is now surplus as the new model I > purchased had the > cruise control fitted as standard. > The photo,s I took during the installation show the > connectors, if fitted > in your car mean the kit should be a bolt on job. > I have tried to attach the photos to this reply but without > success.

I am attempting to install an OEM cruise control in my focus wagon (new steering wheel, servo ...). I have pored over the the instructions and am confused on a couple of steps - mainly where they reference a connector, that I can?t seem to find - but may be in the steering column. Anyway before I start the project, I was hoping I could see your pics and see if they help. Could you email them to me? Also any advice would be gratefully accepted. Thanks Brian

Reply to
bnordberg