Spare Gearbox teeth!

After changing the oil in the gear & transfer box on Saturday I now have a couple of flat pieces of metal, some filings and a tooth that I retrieved from the bottom of a bucket I used to catch the old oil.

Changing from 3rd to 2nd gear at anything above walking pace is always a bit lumpy, I presume these bits belonged to second gear.

Otherwise the gearbox seems fine.

I'm sure getting rid of this excess metal has added 2 mph to my top speed. :-)

How worried should I be? :-{

Reply to
Martin (Wirral, UK)

You don't say what type of vehicle you have - Series 1 and 2 Landrovers did not have synchromesh on second even when new, so if you have one of these and drove as if synchronised, then you would always have this problem. Second is constant mesh but not synchronised. If the tooth was off second gear, it would be noisy while ever you were in second (same for any other gear). If it is off the dog clutch that engages second (very unlikely), no worries - a number of teeth engage at once. If there are no other symptoms, you probably have not got much of a worry. The bits may not have been cleaned out when the box was repaired some time in the past. If it is series 3 or later, it may be parts of the synchromesh, and you have no worries if driving with no synchromesh is not a problem. JD

Reply to
JD