CB Radio

While sorting through some junk last night I found an old 40 Channel handheld CB radio.

Does anyone still use these things, or are they practically obsolescent now, with the european channels available ?

Reply to
Larry

AFAIK they're pretty much obsolete, but might be wrong, there's a newsgroup, uk.rec.radio.cb where you can get the proper answer, this question is asked regularly there so a search on google groups restricted to that newsgroup will get the answer quickly, use the "advanced search" option.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Larry came up with the following;:

Potentially still useful .. but ...

We use an old CB, technically illegal I believe as it's an old AM rig, along with some mates. They're great for keeping in touch whilst off-roading or simply driving in a loose convoy.

We all keep meaning to get up to date with new legal rigs, but wtf, the amount we use them it hardly seems worthwhile for the cost of replacement, and we've never heard of anyone being 'done' for using them, though i guess the fines may be exorbitant.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Turned it on yesterday and it was full of foragers with a few locals trying to get through and I still have a licence for it.

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©