Headlamp Beam Adaptors for Continental Driving

Afternoon all,

I have a pair of Travel Spot headlamp beam adaptors, the sort you buy in Halfords. Sadly, a Defender is not one of the models listed on the fitting list! Anyone able to offer help about how to fit the things? It's a 2001 TD5 Defender 90.

Much obliged

Reply to
rajpadf

Will face that soon ;-).

Any other round headlamp on their list? I guess they can't be that different from Defenders'.

Just my 2p.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

on the glass you can see a triangular pattern about the same shape as the stick-on thingys, verty simple to locate them over this, they work by blocking that part of the beam pattern which usually adds light to the kerb/side of the road, some by blocking it and some try to redirect it, the location and effect is much the same.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

"Fred Labrosse" wrote

I used the stick on fresnel lens type on my Discovery '91, but the first time I used them on my new Defender 130 Td5 2002MY, one fell off due to the curvature of the glass.

So I used the dash mounted switch in it's lowest position. I've used it this way on all my visits to Germany, without ever being flashed at night. So it must be OK.

Yes the light level on the road is lower, but I did say I drove a Discovery, so I was used to low light levels from it's headlamps.

Years ago one could buy headlamps that could be switched between LHD and RHD, but I can't find anyone selling them now.

Last month at the Allrad off-road show at Bad Kissingen, I asked about symmetrical beams rather than asymmetrical. I was told that they were now illegal.

Another example of backward advancement. When I drove my Austin 1800 to Europe, I just switched the headlamps over. Decades later with more UK/EU travel, we've lost that simplicity.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Morris