Springs or dampers??

Ive noticed over the last month of so that my 1992 90 (150,000 miles) HT is starting to roll more when I go round a right hand bend or round-about. Going around left hand corners is still controlled and has much less roll.

It feels as though the left rear is "weaker" than the front left so consequently the right front seems a little high.

I have checked the damper and there is no apparent leak and the spring is not dislocated.

I suspect this is a spring issue rather than a damper one?

Is it normal for one corner only to fail?

If it helps, my right rear bush that holds damper to chassis is ready to be replaced as there is possiblyt 1/4 inch play in the bush...

Can I replace 1 corner only or should I replace the 2 rear only or is all 4 necessery?

I know I have yellow Monroe dampers (replaced by revious owner) but have no idea if the springs are original.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

Yes, dampers do not control roll, so springs sound more likely. But also check the state of the suspension bushes, and possible damage or rust to the spring seats and chassis, as free play could show up as initial roll. Also, although the dampers are not intended to control roll, if one rear damper is partly seized, it could give the effect you are seeing, particularly if there is a lot of play on its bushes. Without sway bars, the roll is controlled only by springs and the bushes on the front radius arms, so these are the prime suspects, but as above, a sticking damper could cause unequal roll effects. Unless broken, springs usually sag equally. However, note that left and right springs are not the same, either front or back, and having left and right interchanged will cause a lean. JD

Reply to
JD

Tyre pressures?

Reply to
GbH

All 4 of my tyres deflate slowly (loose maybe 5psi over a week) so I check and inflate every 2 or 3 days. Therefore I know my pressures are always around 32 - 35 at rear and 30 - 32 front.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Will check the state of the mounts and bushes.

Front radius arms control roll? I didnt know this, will also need to check the front end!

I'm fairly sure I dont have a broken one, it would have shown up whilst playing in a quarry yesterday.

Looks like I need need to check all bushes and chassis mounts first.

Whats the best way to check bushes? Jack up the vehicle via the jacking ponts and then use a trolly jack to lift the axle, then use a pry bar? I have orange poly-buses if that makes a difference?

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

If you think about it, when the vehicle rolls, the front radius arms have to be at a different angle to the axle - the only way they can do this is by deforming the bushes. A bush that is no longer concentric would give a slight lean, for example.

Yes

No

Sorry for the late reply, been away. JD

Reply to