Dampers and their Bushes question - D90.

Hi all,

I was given the 90 a quick look over yesterday and found the top mounting bush for the right rear damper is knackered (at least I assume its the bush and not the bolt thats worn). I can rotate the damper housing about 1/4" - 3/8" around the fixing bolt.

The last owner put Monroe shocks on (all I know about them is that they are made by Monroe and are yellow). From this is is it possible to tell if they are oil / gas filled?

More to the point, can you buy replacement bushes or do I have to replace the damper? Hopefully I'll be able to buy the bushes but if not should I put 2 new dampers on or try to get another the same as the one coming off?

None of the dampers are leaking and will all be at least 3 years old.

Advice needed please.

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

You can just replace the bushes, they're pennies each. Beamends will be along shortly with a price!

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Excellent news. Just what I wanted to hear...

Reply to
Jon

Assuming 2-piece top bushes....

552819 Bush Shock Absorber Top Series/Range Rover to 85 £0.16 inc VAT 552818 Shock Absorber bottom Bush £0.16 inc VAT

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:05:48 +0000 (UTC), Jon enlightened us thusly:

There's a good argument in favour of using the original spec cheap dampers (most are Armstrong) which cost something silly like 10 quid a piece or less, and replacing them fairly often. The "better" ones tend to about 4 times the price and don't, for the most part, last 4 times as long at decent efficiency.

You can make an exception to this rule if you do extreme off-road activity on a regular basis, which may exceed the abilities of the cheap dampers.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Where did you see that kind of price? Or is it different for 90s and 110s? I'm currently looking at some for a 110 and the cheapest I found was around

20 for rear and 23 for front (inc vat). Yes, Armstrongs.

Cheers,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

On or around Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:21:43 +0000, Fred Labrosse enlightened us thusly:

Paddocks, normally. Not looked at 90/110 ones, I have to admit, recently. I was talking about disco ones.

Paddock have early ones (up to WA159806) for 8.10, 90/110 front, ditto rears. Not sure what the difference is on later ones after XA159807 - bugger all, probably :-)

Beamends have early ones at 14.33 inc vat, later ones a few quid more - cheaper than Paddock on the later ones, looks like.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

From Beamends pages:

RSC100050 Front Shock Absorber - 110 & 130 from XA159807 Armstr 23.38 Inc VAT

RPM100080 Rear Shock Absorber - 110/130 from XA159807 Armstr 20.56 Inc VAT

And the heavy duty one is only at 25.73. What's the difference?

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

On or around Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:39:41 +0000, Fred Labrosse enlightened us thusly:

dunno. nor do I know what the difference between "early" and "late" - some of the aftermarket ones such as OME offer a single damper for all applications...

Reply to
Austin Shackles