St Petersburg

Thank you one and all for the help and advice you gave me about our forthcoming trip to St Pete's. Fuel filters, bog roll and diesel. Got that.

Next question. Even I can break into a Defender TD5 and the immobiliser fills me with little confidence. Is there a bit, a small engine part, that can be removed and that will render the car undriveable? In our old V8 I would simply have removed the rotor arm each night (A car I much regret selling by the way , if you own F250 KDV then tell me how she's going). Without the rotor arm it ain't going nowhere!

Any equivalent bit an the TD5 motor?

Clues please!

D&P

Reply to
David Ferry

Watch the resourceful Ruskies don't simply crane it onto a low loader or somesuch. The perceived wisdom in Africa is try to park near or in a police compound (hoping they are'nt too corrupt).

Reply to
Hirsty's

Take the fuses out.

Reply to
Mother

What about the immobiliser doesn't fill you with confidence?

Unless you somehow 'unlock' the immobiliser without using the remote blip, the engine can't be started (even if you bypass the starter motor relay feed from the immobiliser) as the ECU hasn't had the correct code from the alarm ECU. It will run for about 3 seconds, then die, and cut the fuel supply until the ignition is switched off again.

Obviously there are ways round it by cloning the radio signal, but apart from that I don't know how you would, unless you mimicked the alarm ECU?

But for extra peace-of-mind you could remove the fuses for or put an inline switch of some sort in the ECU 12v ignition feed/fuel pump or fuel pump relay feed/crankshaft sensor 12v feed.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis