Finally...

It's been a long time coming, but now it's finally happened. Yes, I actually sat in a Mustang built after 1993.

My wife's lease will be up on the Escape soon - that's the excuse for going to the Auto Show. I wanted her to see all of the SUVs and CUVs on display.

She tried on a convertible Beetle, but it just wasn't her. The Vibe didn't excite her, and she spent an inordinate amount of time in the Lexus circle. (If I'm going to spend $50,000 on a vehicle, it better have a bowtie on the front and not more than two seats.)

I steered her toward the Jeep Liberty (there ya go, Kate), but it didn't fit quite right - and something about where the dog was going to sit... The rear door opened sideways (?), which won't work in our garage.

She agreed with me that her Powerball car would be the convertible Jaguar XK8. That is a VERY pretty car.

In the end, after looking at a dozen different vehicles, she decided that her next one would be an Escape.

If she's stuck in a rut, I am much worse. Throw out the cars that I simply can't afford, and my choices are reduced to one. I sat in that sweet little Mazda, with the suicide doors, but it was much too laid-back, too low, too close. It reminded me of why the Camaro didn't appeal to me in 1993. I much preferred the upright seating in the Mustang.

We circled the Great Hall, looking at everything. Nissan didn't get more than a glimpse, Chrysler was a walk-by, and Toyota really has nothing for us. We saved the Ford area for last.

I was able to do a whole series of shots of the GT (red, white stripes) and the Shelby (also red, white stripes). These were somewhat removed, of course. For us common folk, there was a white convertible, a red coupe, and a triple-black. (Aside from the sixes, also on display.) The coupe fit like a glove. I noticed that getting in and out was a bit more cumbersome for my old body than my '93, but the driver's seat felt made for me.

And what can I say about a triple black convertible GT? How many times have I said that I'd never buy another black car?!? (Too much damn work.) At least it wouldn't have to come out on wet or snowy days... but still...

That tears it. I gotta get me one of these.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Make sure you drive a 300 HP GT before you buy. I've driven both the V-6 and the V-8, for $25.000 the base GT is a whole lotta bang for the buck.

Reply to
351CJ

"dwight" wrote in news:2cGdnU-eCa7QomrenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You should've left out the 2 little pix on the bottom left. TMI. ;)

What's a 'CUV'? Cute Utility Vehicle?

They suck anyway. They're cheap-ass weeniemobiles.

Of course I agree with you, but apparently wives have other agendas. Not to sound stereotypical, but Lexii (plural?) are great wives' cars.

I hate the fact that the rear door windows don't go down.

She's got great taste. I've loved that car ever since it came out.

Tried and true. Just don't get the hybrid.

IIRC, you sit pretty low in the Mustang, right? The door sills are fairly high making it hard to lean your arm out. Or am I mistaken?

Interesting that you didn't care for DC. Of the big (not so much anymore) 3, I think DC has the best lineup overall. BTW, did you guys look at Subaru? Just curious as to your thoughts, as they've got a few interesting vehicles.

My truck is a lot easier to get in and out of than my LX. My, we're getting old...

You're right - black is a royal pain to keep nice. But when it's nice it's _so_ nice... And chrome wheels are a must with a black vehicle.

Best of luck in getting one!

Joe

The triple black was a GT convertible. There is no question - I buy a GT or nothing. Not at all interested in a six.

If or when I buy, it'll have to be special-ordered, too. A stick and a spoiler delete option don't seem to exist on any dealer lots.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I am what I am. And blame the photographer, too!

Pretty much. It's basically a station wagon pretending to be a sport ute. I'd think of the Vibe and the Freestyle (to an extent). There are more in the works.

(It was a joke. I made her sit in it so I could get the picture.) The Beetle is a non-starter.

Eh. It's nice. If she really had to have one, we'd manage it. I just don't think it's SO nice to merit the price.

I've got a great shot from the side. The lines are just classic yet very sexy. My wife thought it was a shame that it doesn't come with the leaping jaguar hood ornament.

Thanks, no. We also talked about buying, instead of leasing. We had an issue with cloth seats vs. leather last time - the lease vehicles don't come with a lot of the fancies. Looks like she'll order one her way, and we'll just buy it.

No, you're right. The doors are higher than they are in the Foxes. But the seating is still rather upright. My legs weren't parallel with the ground, that's for sure.

I'm not keen on the looks of the Chryslers these days. I just can't see myself in a Crossfire, a Magnum, or any of those honkin' huge grille things. (Of course, I can't see myself in a Viper, either, although I'd love to try one of THOSE for a day.)

Subaru has some great stuff. They had the WRX there (or whatever) and one of their small truck things, which seems to be aimed at 21 year olds. I think the WRX would be a hoot on days like last week, when we got 18" of snow, but I wouldn't want one as a daily driver. You know me - I'm stuck on American V8s. The only high-revving four I'd want would come in a two-wheel package.

Preach on, brother. I spent last Sunday shovelling snow, and it took until Thursday to recover.

I was looking at the options, and I'm not really happy with any of the four wheels available today. I think I'd have to go with the 18" premiums, just for the center caps with the tribars, but they don't excite me.

(I'm workin' on it. I told Jean that I'd sell BOTH '93s to get a new GT convertible, but later retracted that statement. I keep TFrog. Besides, what would I drive on those non-sunny days?)

dwight

Reply to
dwight

:

Izzatchu in the photo there Deewhyte? Hmm... looks like an itty bitty bit of drool there on the steering wheel.

: : My wife's lease will be up on the Escape soon - that's the excuse for going : to the Auto Show. I wanted her to see all of the SUVs and CUVs on display. :****

: I steered her toward the Jeep Liberty (there ya go, Kate), but it didn't fit : quite right - and something about where the dog was going to sit... The rear : door opened sideways (?), which won't work in our garage.

I like the sideways door. I can't quite explain exactly WHY but I do. I think that the Liberty isn't for everyone. The Escape has it hands down on interior cofort and features over the Libby but I wanted something more than a grocery getter and I think that I have it in the Liberty. See!

took her out day befor yesterday caching.Had a BLAST! Found the cache in the first shot, then found some fun nearby at an old railroad yard.I have already done a number of mods to her, and am on my way to a lift kit, tires and a bull bar and winch. Not sure which is first. Hell, at this point who cares! LOL

: In the end, after looking at a dozen different vehicles, she decided that : her next one would be an Escape.

Nothing wrong with going with what you know and like. The Escape is a nice little rig.

: : We circled the Great Hall, looking at everything. Nissan didn't get more : than a glimpse, Chrysler was a walk-by, and Toyota really has nothing for : us. We saved the Ford area for last.

I'm jealous. I would REALLY like to go to soemthing like that sometime.

: That tears it. I gotta get me one of these. :

Uh huh.... you old softie.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Sat in the same vert on thursday aweek ago. Tried to get them to give me a look under the hood of the shelby but no go. I liked the Jeep Cherokee RT8 now that was sweet! Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

What?? You never did that in the Mustang???

Reply to
WindsorFox

You shouldn't have asked, just pull the lever and go open it :p

Reply to
WindsorFox

"WindsorFox" wrote : KJ.Kate wrote: : : >

> I took her out day befor yesterday caching.: : : What?? You never did that in the Mustang??? :

Nope, and now, I can wear my mud with pride instead of rushing home and scrubbing it all off.

*WEG*

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Yeah, Dave. The door was open for you.

Unfortunately, it was up on a revolving display with a largish gentleman standing off to the left. I think he was packing.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Ayep. I think the black convertible appeals to me because I wouldn't have to buy new leather.

Now THAT's funny! A Jeep being used as it was intended? Love the before and after shots.

...and the next one will be nicer.

It's an annual event here. I recommend avoiding the weekends, though. It gets packed. We hit the show right at 5:00 on a Wednesday night, so I was able to take a lot of photos, and Jean was able to try on different wheels without waiting too long.

Personally, I'd really like to go to the Detroit show one time.

Maybe there's a reason I haven't sat in a Mustang built since '93.

:()

Reply to
dwight

"dwight" wrote : : Maybe there's a reason I haven't sat in a Mustang built since '93. :

You were just saving yourself, that's all.

;¬)

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Packing what??? LOL THAT'S why you ALways carry an extra McDonalds cheeburger with you. Toss it off into the Hyundai exhibit to keep him busy for a few minutes...

Of course hopping on and off that big spinny thing might have taken a little ninja finesse'.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Hmm, definitely a good reason to not buy a red or yellow Mustang IF you plan to wear matching leather....

Reply to
WindsorFox

"WindsorFox" wrote : : Packing what??? LOL THAT'S why you ALways carry an extra McDonalds : cheeburger with you. Toss it off into the Hyundai exhibit to keep him : busy for a few minutes... : : Of course hopping on and off that big spinny thing might have taken : a little ninja finesse'. :

LMAO! I can see it now! (underdog voice) "Here I come so save the....." BIF!! POW! SPLAT!

YIKES!

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

In my 05 GT, the electric seat has a significant height adjustment. it'll go up nearly 6 inches or so. In the low position, it's "really low" and in the high position, it'll put your head into the headliner. No problem getting your arm high enough to lean out the window unless you're wearing a 10 gallon hat.

Reply to
nobody

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:37:49 -0500, "dwight" puked:

LOL

lab~rat >:-)