Starter Install Help

Hello:

'96 LR Disco I, 4.0, Auto, NAS

After performing various diagnostics. I determined that the starter needed overhaul/replacement. I opted for the replacement. I ordered and received my new "Mean Green" starter.

After reviewing the LR Manual it suggests (I'll paraphrase) the following for replacement:

1: remove 02 sensor (RHS) 2: mark front propshaft, then disconnect 3: remove heatshield 4: disconnect electrical connections 5: remove bolts from starter 6: refit using reverse procedures

Is there an easier way?

According to the book there appears to be multiple electrical connections. However the new starter only has two. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance. I'll monitor this group. Email is a dead link.

Reply to
Jack

On or around Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:55:15 -0400, "Jack" enlightened us thusly:

I doubt it, starter is notoriously inaccessible on the V8.

make sure you have the correct motor before trying to fit it... try to see the existing motor and work out how many wires attach to it. It's sometimes the case that wires from the alternator, etc., go to the starter terminal rather than to the battery, don't know if that applies to yours. There's always a "trigger" wire that makes the starter operate and sometimes there's an additional wire used for a ballasted coil to supply full voltage during cranking. I doubt this applies to yours.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin,

I did it by the numbers and all worked out well (~2 hrs.). Although the stock starter heat shield will no longer fit. Apparently "Mean Green" manufacturing rotated the solenoid 180 degrees, therefore not needing the shield?

"Lucas" starts right up without a problem. That's a good thing. The "Mean Green" starter has very distinctive sound while starting. Almost like an NHRA alcohol race engine starting... maybe its my imagination...

Onto the next project...

Reply to
Jack