Starting Ping

OK I have an imtermittent problems with starting on a 200tdi defender, so far over the last 2+ years we've relaced:-

Starter Battery Ingnition switch

Symptoms are:- on cold the starter seems to not engage properly and the battery 'die' (sometimes), but try agin and mabe again and every thing is ok. after running the for ay 10 miles and everything is up to temp, on stopping the engine, all I get is solarniod chatter from the starter. (sometimes) leave for couple fo minutes starts fine.

Now the 'ping' bit, when starting it and I dont get very far, maybee the solarnoid engages but nothing else happens or it turns the engine a fraction, when I turn off the ignition I here a loudish metalic ping sound from the dash board area around where the wiper motor is, and I think once I have heard this then everything seems to work properly.

The bus is in for service in the next couple fo months and I close on getting my guy to replace all the earth straps & main feed cable to the starter from the battery (not much else left to replace on the starting system) but any thoughts appreciated.

Ta

John

110 CSW 200Tdi
Reply to
John

I don't know if it applies, but there's one possible failure point which I have come across on other vehicles, where the wiring loom is not a single assembly. I first came across it with a tractor, where there was a multi-way connector between the cab (and starter switch) and the rest of the electrics. This connector was making a poor contact.

I've since learnt that the specific connector was also used in a Metre, so I suppose it would have been available to Land Rover as they rummaged through the company parts-bin.

Anyway, it's the sort of thing which might have been introduced, and you wouldn't think to look for.

Reply to
David G. Bell