Stranded - Series III

Hi folks,

Having some grief at Christmas with the Series III.

2 1/4 petrol (early), starts like a dream, runs well, then, when stopping in traffic etc cuts out.

Will not re-start for 10-15 minutes. Turns over, battery fine, will not fire though :-(. Plenty of fuel, spark plugs clean and well.

Have a long journey home with kids to make this week, all help greatfully accepted.

Cheers

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Sounds like it could be fuel starvation. Could be that the fuel pump pumps enough when running more than tickover but at tick over engine starves of fuel. Two thoughts, filter is getting blocked or could be the cam that operates the fuel pump lever or the lever itself. Next time it stops have you tried priming the pump using the hand lever and seeing if it starts. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Have you gone somewhere cold? could be an icy carby thingy. sorry, I know bugger-all about pertol engines.

tis silly stuff petrol, even needs a spark to get it to burn.......

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around 26 Dec 2004 11:26:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@enterprise.net (Andrew) enlightened us thusly:

vacuum in the fuel tank? check whatever it uses as tank breathers.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Two thoughts - carburettor icing or blocked fuel breather.

Try a bit of sack cloth across the front of the radiator. That cured my old Series One of a similar problem in Winter.

Reply to
PDannyD

As others have suggested it may be a fuel starvation problem but it could also be that the mixture is too rich at idle. The "leave it 10-15 mins and it starts OK" reminds me of a problem I had many years ago with a clogged air filter. Check that the choke is operating properly (or not operating all the time). A hot engine will often have problems starting if you use the choke and will not tick over with the choke on. After 10-

15 mins the engine has cooled down sufficiently to allow the engine to start on choke.

To check that the choke effect isn't caused by the air filter, try taking the air filter pipe off the carb next time it stops and see if it will start then. If it does then it's time to clean your air filter !

HTH

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Well mine was not performing too well over Christmas, the engine never warmed up at all, and I was struggling in third gear to maintain 30 mph on any modest incline.

It could have been the extra weight I was carrying, it could have been the cold, it could have been the plugs, it could have been the coil, and it could have been the carburettor, never mind the engine being so raddled that the pistons probably move as far sideways as they do up an down. Who knows, one thing at a time.

Reply to
Larry

Condenser? - they have been known to do silly things when warm and usually recover after cooling only to pack in again.

Reply to
Dougal

Thanks to one-and-all for your suggestions.

New coil (and leads whilst I was at it) did the trick, made it back to

Lancashire this evening at 62 MPH up the M6 !!

Cheers and Happy New Year

Andrew

Reply to
Diogenes