Strange front wheel alignment.

Hi all.

I have DII V8. Since putting oversize tyres on it, I have noticed that the OS front tyro 'just' touches the front, plastic mudguard thingy, - the one at the back of the bumper. Only happens on full LH lock. But the NS tyre doesn't. It seems to have almost an extra inch of movement at the front of the wheel.

Is this just a strange kind of LR configuration, or has something serious happened? The car is spotless and never been involved in a prang. It drives absolutely fine too.

TIA. H.

PS: Anyone fancy making me a SS version of that silly plastic forward mudguard? It's just worn through now, and I've got a 'nole' in it.

Reply to
Howie

On or around Mon, 26 Nov 2007 06:43:05 +0000, Howie enlightened us thusly:

probably the lock stops are in different places. You can adjust 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

And you can turn the brackets round that hold the arch to the bumper and get 'just enough' clearance for the oversized tyres

Reply to
johnty

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:27:01 -0000, "johnty" wrote: |>

|> probably the lock stops are in different places. You can adjust 'em. |>

|> -- |> Austin Shackles.

my opinions are just that |> Travel The Galaxy! Meet Fascinating Life Forms... |> ------------------------------------------------\ |> >>
a webcartoon by Howard Tayler; I like it, maybe you will too!| | |And you can turn the brackets round that hold the arch to the bumper and get |'just enough' clearance for the oversized tyres | Thanks to both of you. And I'll do some googling to find out about lock-stop adjustment. Much appreciated.

H.

Reply to
Howie

ISTR that the lock-stops on the D2 are non-adjustable, and that the restriction is within the swivel itself. My first D2 had terrible steering lock, and I tried to improve it by winding them back (as you do) but was told the above by a dealer. Strangely, my last D2 (same year, but an auto) was much better.

Having removed the bumper and all the associated gubbins to do a repair, I can confirm that the panel alignment is extremely approximate, and it doesn't surprise me that there is an inch difference between the two sides. They are all like that, Sir.

Reply to
Rich B

It could almost make for a new film title: Lock-stop-and two smoking mudguards.

Coat got...... Steve

Reply to
Steve

On or around Mon, 26 Nov 2007 18:59:20 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

haven't looked at one, I admit.

I know on the defender axle I modified the stops to get more lock when I fitted the 8-spokes

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi

You don't say if they are original wheels. I notice that third party wheels like eight spokes can be bought with differing offsets. Of course, it could just be the usual poor quality build...

Regards

Reply to
Uncle Geoff

D2 axles are totally different from the Series/Defender/RRC/D1 items. The swivels are not so enclosed and are a different construction (note total lack of detail in description cos I've forgotten). They're much stronger than the older items, and they're the ones to have for racing, apparently. But the old rules (wind back the lock-stops for greater turning circle) just don't apply.

Reply to
Rich B

No big gleaming silver balls on the axle ends under the front of my DII. I think the arrangement is more akin to a king pin than a ball based swivel.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's the badger. I couldn't remember what you called it.

Reply to
Rich B

I've now looked at RAVE, the end of the axle is Y shaped with the prongs vertically above each other. A similar Y shaped yoke, which carries the hub, is fitted via two ball joints to the underside of each axle prong. The two ball joints being inline but canted like a king pin.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

|Hi | |You don't say if they are original wheels. I notice that third party wheels |like eight spokes can be bought with differing offsets. |Of course, it could just be the usual poor quality build...

'ello again. They are original. It's the D2 SE. Five-spoke solid ally wheels.

|> It could almost make for a new film title: Lock-stop-and two smoking |> mudguards. |>

|> Coat got...... |> Steve

Too clever for your own good ;-)

-- Pontins History E-Mail: snipped-for-privacy@pontinshistory.co.uk Please visit

Skype ID (instant messaging and video calls): howie10

Reply to
Howie