Strange noise and clunking from a Disco

I've just had my Disco in and spent a bit of money having one of the CV joints and a swivel ball replaced, but unfortunately it hasn't cured the main problem I had.

At low speed with the clutch down I get a heavy clunkclunkclunk from somewhere in the front along with a noticable difference in speed every time the clunk happens - the car slows down a little.

Thoughts on what this might be? I'm suspecting that it *may* be one of the UJs on the front propshaft having problems, but it only happens at low (less than 5MPH) speed.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

It does sound like the front propshaft UJs, I had similar from the rear on my Defender (not sure if Disco is the same), clunks at low speed, a vibration at higher speed. It's easy to check though, get under there with a small breaker bar and see if you can move the UJs around. However if a garage didn't spot the UJs as being the source of the problem then it might not be, as it's an easy problem to spot and I'd like to think they wouldn't be *that* daft....

Note that you can also get this if the UJs have been replaced and not put back in with the correct phasing, at least on the Defender. Have you had UJs or prop shaft messed with recently?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Not had them messed with, but the car's on a 2" lift kit, so they're probably under more stress than they should be

I didn't actually ask the garage to investigate that, I knew I had a problem with the CVJs and they fixed that problem.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:38:48 GMT, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

sometimes propshaft UJs are only really obvious once the shaft's off and in yer hand, so to speak.

Common problem though, front ones suffer more due to shorter shaft, I suspect.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Had it checked today. No problem at all with any of the UJs but considerable play in the whole transmission.

The blokes who looked at it reckon the T-box is worn. Their recommendation "Don't bother fixing it before it dies, just let it explode and then replace it"

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I was going to say "Hmm I hope it doesn't happen while you're moving" but then it's hardly likely to when you're stationary is it! Doh ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Reply to
StaffBull

Goodness, we've got a load of wimps in this group!

It's rather like the weather forecasts these days .... unless it's bone dry - but not too hot in case the road is 'melting' or the sun's shining too brightly - everything is dangerous / treacherous etc..

Come on, live a bit !!

Reply to
Dougal

Yes, you're right! Come on fellas, cast off those seatbelts and roam free!

I've just thought of a brilliant way to increase fuel economy -- remove your brakes!

Freedom!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:24:34 -0000, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

'snot likely to lock up if the problem is the typical shaft wear one. It might however shear the splines and leave you with no drive at all.

Mind, you should hear the noises mine makes. Must get around to contacting a bloke I know who has an alleged good LT77.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Now that made me laugh!

Reply to