Golf Mk4 headlight problem

(2002 Golf Mk4 TDI)

Hi all,

Somebody told me my passenger-side headlight (dipped) wasn't working and so this morning I bravely set about changing the bulb. It was a 12v 55w H7 Halogen.

Without scratching my hands too badly and after only breaking a couple of the plastic clips on the battery cover, I had the bulb in and working.

Before we went for our Saturday visit to Salisbury I checked it again and noticed with some disappointment that it was only about half as bright as the driver-side one. On our return, the passenger-side one was completely out!

Any thoughts what this might be? I'm perfectly capable of doing something daft, but I thought I had it back together properly.

Or does the above imply there is something in the car's circuitry causing the bulbs to blow?

By chance a friend at work lent me his electrical probe thingy, not sure of the name, but its like a continuity checker but it can measure resistance, current and L (Henrys?).

If I set this to read current and attached the clips to the lights connector, might it give me any useful data? I've only got it for tomorrow though.

Thanks for any thoughts.

P.S. Its a bummer because I'd virtually dislocated my arm, patting myself on the back for successfully completing the bulb change. Oh well... :)

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Did you put finger-prints on the quartz envelope (the "glass" of the new bulb)?

If you did, and didn't clean it all off completely (eg with an alcohol wipe), that will cause the new bulb to blow in short order.

This is a characteristic of high wattage quart-halogen bulbs.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Or you had a duff one. But odds are it's the bulb.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

On 07-Dec-08 00:27:44, Duncan Wood said

No, I was very careful not to touch the glass, the guy in the shop mentioned this when I bought it, and as a former projectionist its something I avoid anyway.

A further thought, the bulb just came in a little cardboard box, free to rattle around inside. There was no internal packaging to cushion it or anything - is that standard? I am now wondering if somebody might have already returned the bulb.

The box had MOTAQUIP and (p) VBU499 written on it by the way.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Often, yes. Having short thickish filimants, these bulbs are reasonably robust.

Without tamper-proof packaging, previous history is anybody's guess. You may have been unlucky.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Okay thanks.

So based on what I've said, it doesn't look like the car's electrical system is the culprit, and another bulb should solve it?

Cheers.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

On 07-Dec-08 15:02:59, Angus Manwaring said

To answer my own question, yup, a new bulb sorted it.

(touch wood).

Thanks guys.