Super fast series

My bog standard series 3 petrol does what it says on the packet 65mph cruising 70-75 foot down head down.Not much fun on the motorway but would
love to see a series landrover going down the fast lane 100+.
Has anybody made a super fast series landrover or is it virtually impossible. I know people do engine swaps and so on but would the rest of the landrover be able to handle it.Is there someone out there with a 100mph+ series?
Adrian Ford

landrover
When I marshalled at Snetterton there was a Tranny van with a Bennetton F1 engine which could do 170mph down the straight. Don't see why it couldn't be done with a Series.....
Now, where's me spanner?
TonyB
I know a guy who has a supercharged 3.5 V8 in a yellow ser III !!!!

On or around Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:50:48 -0000, "Adrian Ford"

by the time you uprate the brakes enough to be safe and probably work on the steering and so on, you might as well buy a 90... at least you get the decent brakes and so on already fitted.
I had (briefly) a series I 86" with a Jag 2.4 engine in it. That would clock 60 in second, but had standard SI brakes, which meant that it was potentially lethal.
JTX 267, in case anyone comes across it. Lovely conversion, too, engineering-wise
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
Appearances: You don't really need make-up. Celebrate your authentic
Larry wrote:

Haev to be a hybrid, sIII body on a coiler chassis, and a nice fat V8, a Turner or somesuch would do the job :0) That way it would have some chance of stopping and stuff. Personally, I get all misty over the idea of a 4.2S in my 110, but I need to finish a few things first, then sell one of the kids to pay for it!
`Mark
enlightened us thusly:

you could put discs on the series front axle, and 11" drums on the back, and a big servo, if it didn't already have one. parabolics, good quality dampers, and some fast road tyres, it'd be OK.
trouble is, doing all that costs more than buying a decent 90.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"Nessun maggior dolore che ricordarsi del tempo felice nella miseria"
Adrian Ford wrote:
<snip>

Apart from the brakes the suspension is dicky. I drove a turboed Game (An oz SIII SWB with fancy tires) and the thing started doing a series of bounds when off the clock.
--

regards

jc

LEGAL - I don't believe what I wrote and neither should you. Sobriety and/or
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:50:48 -0000, "Adrian Ford"

It shouldnt be hard to make one go over 100, but i wouldnt like to be in it unless work had been done on the steering and brakes too.
My mate managed to get his up into the 90's once. That was a slightly tired 2.25 with a different cam, a different inlet manifold and carb and a non standard exhaust. In his series 2 the speedo only goes up to 70. If you get it past that the needle keeps going until it hits the stop under zero :)

I'd be more worried about the speed rating and condition of the tyres myself..... I've experienced a high-speed (85/90mph)blowout in a relatively high performance car (Jag XJC) that has a considerably lower c of g, I wouldn't like to do the same in a 4x4, in fact I am 100% positive a 4x4 would have rolled. Several times. Badger.
On or around Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:03:50 +0000 (UTC), "Badger"

you'd need fast road tyres, for certainty. I'd be inclined to some nice 18" wheels with decent road tyres - RaRo wheels should fit and be available with suitable stud spacing.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
Too Busy: Your mind is like a motorway. Sometimes it can be jammed by
snipped-for-privacy@raggamuffinlandyzone.co.uk "StrangeRover" wrote:

This is potential sigfile material.
(Seriously, any Land Rover, if you can anticipate the road ahead you can reduce the need for braking, and reduce fuel consumption. My driving style gave about 25% better fuel consumption than my father's, though some of that was the effect of short runs.)

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."
Here you go, one superfast series 3 109
http://www.shabbir.com/pictures/mbpictures/mb12landrover.jpg
--
Larry
Series 3 rust and holes

Could get one of them and put it in the glove box of my Peugeot 806 then it will be super fast.. Some times when in the series 3 on motorways you wish you could just put your foot down and stick 2's up at some impatient gits as you fly past.......Or even be able to accelerate away from lorries playing chicken with your back door.. Cheapest option teaching the kids to throw turd bombs out of the windows. AF
Adrian Ford wrote:

20 year old V8 110 is good in this respect. You can potter along the inside lane when it suits you and then indicate and suprise people as you fly past them. Ok, "fly past" might not be accurate, but over 80mph anyway...
--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
Danny wrote:

:0) If you do a complete rebuild on one, including carbs and air system, it takes you to about 95 :0) But it isn't nice unless you put shiny new suspension on it, and new brakes. Then you get a huge grin when people look surprised at an 'old' landy leaving them choking on petrol vapour and pride :0)
`Mark
Mark wrote:

Since it's my main vehicle I've never wanted to thrash it to the limit, so I've no idea how fast mine would go. 80mph is achievable without feeling it's at the limit...
--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)

landrover
My stage one V8 went off the end of the clock after I fitted a new cam and SU carbs. Those door tops really start to flap at that sport of speed !