2.5 Turbo into series

How easy is it to fit the 2.5 turbo into a series 3? Does the turbo foul the bulkhead ect.

Regards Brian Tonks

Reply to
Brian Tonks

Long time since I played with one, but I had a series with a 2.5d turbo in it once, with 7.50 tyres and rangie diffs, it flew! From what I remember the exhaust downpipe was a modified standard part as it fouled at the crossmember, not the bulkhead. The whole exhaust needs to be replaced with a system of around 2" bore anyway, as the std series one cannot flow the ammount of gas it needs to with the turbo engine. All mounts are the same, but the sherpa version of the engine has the injector pump sitting higher up on the block than the landrover version, giving more clearance for the battery tray. You'll probably have to relocate the battery (to under the passenger seat?) and remove the battery tray, assuming its a landy version of the engine you have. All fuel lines are ok, just a few adaptors to lengthen them to the pump. You need to fit a switch and a relay for the high current required by the heater plugs, and remove the oil-bath air filter! You will need to fit some form of dry filter, possibly something like a pipercross straight to the turbo inlet, or extended forwards into the space in fromt of the radiator?? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I have a 1959 series 2 with a sherpa 2.5 diesel in (without the turbo unfortunatly) that was put in the landy before I bought it. The battery is currently behind the drivers seat in a wooden box as its too big to fit on either of the brackets under the bonnet. Fits the engine mounts ok although the fan is closer to the radiator than I'd like cos its stuck on a big viscous coupling that takes up space. The heaters have a relay and 10 second timer connected to a switch on the dash. With the overdrive it manages 70mph on the motorway but not so nice at this speed because the steering has some play in it! Loads of power though, its infinitly better than my dads series

  1. >
Reply to
Ralph Hughes

On or around Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:23:14 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

The 90/110 has a paper element filter, or mine did, in a similar housing to the oil bath one.

or the one from a 3.5i Rangie would doubtless suit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It can be a long job. Things I had to do when I did it six months ago

New big bore exhaust ( Steve Parker, one of his "standard" specials ), Move the right hand chassis engine mounting point , otherwise it fouls the injector pump, mounting frame for the 2.5T radiator top move it further forward so the viscous fan and radiator cowling would fit, which meant I needed the front panel and bonnet from the donor 90, move the battery into the box under the front passenger seat, new brackets for the 2.5T air filter, New mounting for the coolant header tank on inner right wing

Having said all this..

Go for it, it is well worth the work

HTH

Tim

Reply to
TimL

I didnt think that the 2.5T was significantly different to the 2.5 non-turbo?. I have one of them and it fitted on standard engine mounts and didnt need the radiator moving atall. I was considering a 2.5T as the next step up and was presuming that it would be straight forward swap..

Reply to
Tom Woods