Talking of panhard rods...

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but whilst tramming up the M62 today I thought about panhard rods & such things.

Reply to
Nige

Either 'panhard rod' is a Euphemism for something more erotic or you're thinkin' of buying another Landie

I know where my money is :-)

Reply to
Andy

heheheh - a schoolboy slip of the wrist (not a euphemism btw)

I'll re-post.

Reply to
Nige

On or around Wed, 6 Aug 2008 20:39:28 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

Well, the rangie still shimmies, but now it damps out in a second or so rather than going terminal.

Had a look at the steering damper which seems OK.

no obviously shagged bushes in the suspension. I've not looked at damper top bushes yet though.

MOT is due afore long, and that will no doubt show up any bad suspension bushes.

Meanwhile, anyone near Looga-barooga? The scrote who sold it to me bought the new road tax with a rubber cheque, and so far, hasn't answered his phone. Might simply be on holiday or something, though. According to the nice lady in the Post orifice at Chesterfield, I have 'til the 19th to sort it one way or another. Obviously I can pay it myself, but that rather goes against the grain.

Naturally, I already left feedback for the bugger.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Bastard, I had that done to me, and I paid extra for him to leave the licence on. Lesson learned, but how can you tell? I suppose the best thing is to tell them to weigh it in and tax it yourself, better than paying for it twice. Or possibly ring DVLA if it's got more than a month or two left on.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Erm... isn't the DVLA's beef with the previous keeper and diddley squat to do with a new keeper?

Thats like paying the gas bill for a previous occupant of a house.. you'd tell them to go FRO. Why should you have to get your hands dirty Austin? Call citizens advice dude.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

That was my guess, the disc being current is evidence of a contract between the dvla and the previous keeper. That the previous keeper's cheque bounced I would have thought is a civil matter between DVLA and him but if DVLA have contacted the buyer then there may be an exception.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

On or around Thu, 07 Aug 2008 12:05:24 +0100, AJH enlightened us thusly:

well, I would have thought so. However, DVLA don't have a problem: if the payment (made via the post office) turns out not to be valid, they cancel the disc and it's invalid from the date of issue.

The previous keeper doesn't give a stuff, 'cos he's not got the vehicle any more, and in this case, since he sold it on 24th July, and the new disc is valid from 1st August, they can't even do him for keeping it on the road unlicensed.

I, however, can be done for it. There's no doubt a civil case, in that the ebay listing clearly states "tax Jan 09", which means that the price I paid includes the price of that disc, and if the disc is invalid due to the fault or deliberate intent of the previous keeper, then I imagine I have a case for recovering the 100-odd quid. But the rub is that it's not going to be worth pursuing. unless I get Nige to call round and visit him of course :-)

Still no answer on his mobile...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:27:39 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

at the end of the day, it was still a good price for the motor even without the tax. But it's annoying, and hassle, even so. At least the post office contacted me (as keeper) not the other bloke, so I get a chance to sort it. Otherwise I'd not have known and could've got done for no tax.

I still hope that it's a simple error. However, the longer I get the answering thing on his phone, the more suspicious I get...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You have tried calling from a number he doesn't know is you, haven't you? Or withholding your number? Just in case he's seeing who it is and hitting hangup, like I do to some people ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Thu, 7 Aug 2008 15:52:49 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

I'll do that later... he might simply be on holiday. I can easily find another number to call from...

Reply to
Austin Shackles