TDI Defender door locks.

Did the door locks get any more secure during the years of manufacture of the 300 TDI 90 and 110? Is it any more difficult for a thief to get into an R or S reg one than it was an L or M?

I don't want to buy a TD5 but equally I don't want every tea-leaf in town rummaging through my stuff if I buy a late 300tdi.

Thanks,

M.

Reply to
McBad

Lockable cubby box, thick dog guard separating the back from the front, and a gate fastening on the rear door with a decent padlock might do the job! That lot's even resistant to smashing windows, provided there's no windows in the back. A friend did this so he could keep his mountain bike in the back all the time.

I've got a canvas top but don't go into towns, in my 36 years of life I've only been a victim of crime once, being pick-pocketed in Reading by a fairground worker when I was in my early 20s.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Good advice there Ian... Glass is still glass and the one size fits all house brick is not phased by thatcham ratings.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

And you don't need to break any glass anyway!

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

In article , Ian Rawlings writes

Stay away from Bristol then! Shepton's a paradise in comparison...

I don't fuss with Marge, but I don't keep anything useful in her. Since she's turned TDi I may have to change my policy, as she's _much_ easier to start now ;)

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Dr_D writes

But I'm not bricking the windows up just to protect my jump leads and spare can! ... Oh, ISWYM.

There's a thought for April 1st - a brick-built Landy.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Hmmm, sounds a very expensive solution to a problem Land Rover should have sorted out a long time ago. I have the lockable cubby box, but there is an argument that covering the vehicle in grills and padlocks will immediately have every thief wondering what is worth that level of security... However I will investigate prices.

..and in response to another thread it's the country not the towns that is the problem! Leave your Land Rover in any hill walkers car park around the Brecon Beacons, and I suspect your chances of coming back after a day on the hill and not finding it broken into are about 50:50. If we are out walking we now tend to take the wife's modern Ford Focus which has lots of locks and alarms and the boot contents hidden, but no character and next to no driving pleasure.

:O(

McBad

Rather hard to stop a brick through the window!

I've never tried the Brecon Beacons car park, but in general crime is much higher in densely populated areas because it's cheaper to live there so the dross tend to congregate there, and of course there's just more people so there's bound to be more criminals per square mile. Some places out in the country buck that trend of course, it sounds like Brecon Beacons' car park is a honeypot.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Anywhere where people park up and then are known to leave their car unattended is a hot-spot - The Peaks have the same probelem, and I'll bet the Lake District is no different. In pay-and-display car parks owners are even made to advertise the fact that they don't intend returning for several hours to make life easier for the scum. For Land Rovers, particulalry Defenders, one is up against gangs who will take the significant risk of entering a farm yard to steal one, never mind a nice quiet car park.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Put a warning sign in the rear window that you carry live Cobras or similar :-)))

Reply to
Hirsty's

In article , Hirsty's writes

Nice one!

Does anybody know where one can get those natty little 'bio-hazard' stickers? Would look cute next to the door lock...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Bit of a danger of the anti's agreeing with you?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In article , beamendsltd writes

:)

Probably, yes. If that means they leave Marge alone, that's fine with me. I've got one of those pretend-parking-ticket thingies, which I out to affix permanently, I suppose...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig