Defender 90, 300 Tdi or TD5?

Help! I've been searching for a good second hand 90 for a while and now I have the choice of two, a 98 Defender 300 Tdi or a 99 TD5. Both are in good condition, have covered approximately 50,000 miles and will be used for general transport with some light off road work. The Td5 is a bit more expensive, but not excessively. The problem is, which one do I choose? Having never owned a Land Rover before I don't know which is the best buy. So, where better to find out than this forum, which one would you buy and why?

Brom.

Reply to
Brom

So Brom was, like

Depends what you are after and how much you like/trust electronics. The Td5 is more powerful, cleaner emissions, better for high speed road work, but it's a main dealer job if it goes wrong. The Tdi is more economical, noisier, torquier, and is (depending on your level of mechanical knowledge) largely fixable by yourself. Some say the 200/300 Tdi is the ultimate off-road motor, and better than all that came before or after it.

I'd go for a Tdi every time, but that's just me.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I own a TD5 now for 3 years and 100.000 km and never had any problems with the electronics. And electronics will last on almost for ever if you don't use the car as a 'submarine'... The TD5 motor itself keeps going without problems, its just great. By the way I've been 7 times in Africa with the car... Fred

"Richard Brookman" schreef in bericht news:co2ne4$nuh$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com...

Reply to
Landy Fred

Richard & Landy Fred, thanks for that, your replies are very much appreciated. Regards, Brom.

Reply to
Brom