04 4 Runner Adjusting auto door locks etc

Anyone know if it is possible to customize some of the features on the

04 4-Runner, regarding the operation of the standard key fob remote control and the door locks? The default settings just don't work for me. I am guessing that there is some way to reprogram these to be a little more user friendly. Specifically, here are the annoyances:

1) Takes two clicks to unlock the doors instead of one click (one click only opens the driver's door). I want the unlock button on the remote to unlock all the doors.

2) Annoying beeps every time you click the remote. It takes 4 beeps to unlock the doors, and the beeps are way louder than necessary. Wakes up the neighbors when you park the car at 2am or go to work real early. I would like to soften the beeps or eliminate them altogether. You can hear the lock mechanism working, so the beeps are unnecessary to confirm that you've hit the button. The locks actually make a nice, high quality, sounding "ka-thump" instead of a cheesy "duh-waaanng" that you get on some cars. Why overpower that beautiful music with the shrill beeps? If I knew where the actual beeper is, I will consider snipping the wires to it if there is no programmable fix to the problem.

3) When you turn off the engine, everyone except the driver is still locked in. This annoys passengers, and you always end up apologizing for your "stupid car". The car automatically locks all doors when you start driving, which is a reasonable safety feature. No problem with that, but it needs to let everyone out and unlock the rear hatch when you turn the engine off.

4) If you unlock the doors to get in, but take more than 15 or so seconds to open a door, it locks you out. This is just plain rude. Sure, it is an understandable feature to keep you from accidentally unlocking the doors when you slide your key into those tight jeans, but a little leniency would be appreciated. How about 30 seconds or a minute?

Funny, the rest of the car is great, and I have few gripes about any other feature besides the remote control! (Just don't get me started about romping on the gas with the rear window down and sunroof open.....)

Anyone know the right way to reprogram these features?

Thanks! .

Reply to
Toadster

I can help with this one. On page 17 or so in your manual, it shows you how to change these options. I may have the page totally wrong, but I know it's in there. I set it so when I put the car in park, all doors unlock.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Thanks, found it on pages 17-18. The instructions are pretty good, except they fail to mention that you first have to start the engine (not just set the ignition to "on") before the programming takes effect. Anyway, it worked. Al l the other stuff I inquired about in the original post appears to be handled by the dealer according to the manual. Except perhaps for making the remote open all doors with one click.

"Dan J.S." wrote:

Reply to
Toadster