Tech help required for 110 owner

Is there anybody out there that may be able to shed some light on a frustrating problem I have with my 110 2.5lt turbo-diesel.

The symptoms are as follows:

Sometimes on starting the following happens, the engines races at an alarming speed and there is a thick cloud of smoke comes from the exhaust. If I depress the accelerator there is no difference, but the engine starts to make clattering noises.

This continues for 2-3 minutes and then it clears itself. I have replaced the turbo for a re-con unit. But has made no difference. Has anybody experienced anything like this, who could give me advice. This is starting to become expensive.

Cheers

Reply to
flexi-man

Sounds similar to what happens to mine, it's down to the injector pump on mine, it's had water in it & it shagged, i got a recon pump for a very reasonable £45 of a chap from this group. It's getting fit tomorrow so i'll let you know if it cures it.

Reply to
Nige

This sounds very much to me like a worn engine pressurising the engine breather and blowing oil out into the inlet tract, this oil then goes through the turbo into the combustion chambers and is Burnt. I believe its a fairly common problem with VW's, and I've seen a Xantia diesel that was over filled with oil do it too, people say its the turbo oil supply leaking but I don't think it is , and you've changed your turbo anyway. Try disconnecting the engine breather pipe and running it into a lemonade bottle with a length of hosepipe , if your running away problem stops and the bottle fills with oil , then thats the source. Then you just need to fix the rings/ compression.

Reply to
Al Gorithm

Surely it would do that all the time though?

Reply to
Nige

Its either the injector pump or oil in the inlet system. If you have an intercooler then you should remove and clean by flushing with a politically incorrect solvent now and again. If your turbo has been leaking oil into the inlet side then your intercooler could be fairly full of oil if it has the inlet and outlet at the top. If this is the case you are lucky that it has not gulped the lot and blown itself up in the process. Let us know what you find.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

In message , flexi-man writes

It could be

Split diaphragm on the top of the injection pump (the boost pressure metering unit) This allows the turbo to pressurise the fuel system and causes the engine to race.

Another symptom is pressure build up inside the fuel tank.

It is unusual for this to happen at start up. It usually happens while sitting in traffic !!!

Reply to
Marc Draper

I'm afraid Landrover never got around to fitting an intercooler on the

2.5lt turbo-diesels. The eng> > Is there anybody out there that may be able to shed some light on a
Reply to
flexi-man

If it's the normal TD it has no intercooler, as i took it to be.

Reply to
Nige

Have a look in the lift pump & the filter, mine was f*ck full of shit.

Reply to
Nige

Yours is the crappy old indirect injection turbo diesel then. The direct injection 2.5 does have an intercooler.

The engine was rebuilt only 3,000 miles ago so it

It is probably a problem with the injection pump but don't despair and don't fit a recon pump as a first measure; it could be something simple and even relitively cheap to repair.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Well, i dont think it's 'crappy' at all!! Mine pulls like a train & is as respecable on road as you could want for the money you'll pay for one. I have no problem keeping up with traffic.

It is an old engine with a few mods etc, but it does the job.

Reply to
Nige

It is crappy because it drinks like a fish and lasts about as long as milk left out in the sun. It was probably the worst engine Land Rover ever made, yet was succeeded by two of the best.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Well, i can only speak as i find, but at 25-27mpg it isnt too bad on that front, reliability, well we'll see!!!

Reply to
Nige

I have a funny feeling that it won't be with you long enough to find out.

Your fuel figures are exceptional for that engine.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I do have a very light right foot to be honest. Theres no point flogging a car like this anyway!! If it dies i'll shove a 200 in it anyway.

hehehe - you got me on the keeping front, but it does do everything i need it to do, a tad slowly, but it does it!

Reply to
Nige

like this anyway!! If it

to do, a tad slowly, but it

Reply to
flexi-man

You like pain and the euphoria that follows. I can just about get my head around that LOL. Whatever floats your boat. ;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Could it also be a dripping injector? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB