Temperature gauge not working

The Temp gauge has stopped working, how can I check to see what the cause is? The rest of the instruments work OK so I am suspecting the Water temp sensor on the block but is there an easy way to test it to check?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

You can check the gauge and wiring by disconnecting the wire at the sensor. With the wire insulated you'll get one end of the gauge scale, with the wire earthed you should get the other. If that checks out OK, the sensor's not well. I've no idea of the range of resistance provided by the sensor - it's not quoted in the manual.

Reply to
Dougal

You can check the gauge and wiring by disconnecting the wire at the sensor. With the wire insulated you'll get one end of the gauge scale, with the wire earthed you should get the other. If that checks out OK, the sensor's not well. I've no idea of the range of resistance provided by the sensor - it's not quoted in the manual.

Reply to
Dougal

You can check the gauge and wiring by disconnecting the wire at the sensor. With the wire insulated you'll get one end of the gauge scale, with the wire earthed you should get the other. If that checks out OK, the sensor's not well. I've no idea of the range of resistance provided by the sensor - it's not quoted in the manual.

Reply to
Dougal

You can check the resistance of the sender unit with the engine cold and check again when hot. You can also short the sender wire on to the cylinder head for a short time with the ignition switched on and see if the gauge reading moves up or get someone to watch it while you do. It should only take a second or two. If the fuel gauge is working then the power to them should be ok as they are both usually fed from the same source, regulator or fuse.

Reply to
Oily

"Oily" wrote>

Thanks guys, I guessed there would be an easy way to tell if it's US.

Reply to
Bob Hobden