TestBook CDs

I know that this has been doubtless covered hundreds of times, but I need a full set of TestBook CDs. I believe that we could achieve the holy grail & make them work on an ordinary laptop.

Cheers, Chris.

Reply to
chris

There's an software layer between windows and the actual application (a so-called operating system, but it's isn't really) that is part of Testbook 1 & Testbook 2 (worked on the dammed thing but cant remember the name) - if that's not on the CD's you'll need it as well. Apart from that, and the cable interfaces (they are on the web somewhere) Testbook is just a ruggedised PC.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It's actually a hardware layer.

Unless you can get hold of the additional proprietary hardware, you will not get Testbook to work properly on a PC.

The software is cleverer than you think, and has been designed to be as difficult as possible to run on a non-Testbook PC.

beamendsltd wrote:

Reply to
ADB

Well - at least you need all of the OBD2 and other system interface leads and convertors - not impossible to get, but not cheap. IIRC the set for the Rovacom system for a Disco 2 come out somewhere around £500 just for the leads.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Yes, but Rovacom have integrated the hardware interface into their own system. The cables are merely the physical interface between their hardware and the vehicle.

You will not get Testbook to run on a PC unless you understand the electronics between the PC and the vehicle.

Paul S. Brown wrote:

Reply to
ADB

That may be true for Testbook 3, but Testbook 1 & 2 do not have any addition hardware other that the cable interfaces. The "OS" layer provides drivers for the touch-screen and "4GL" programming interface for the screen "buttons". I wish I could remember what the dammed "OS" is called.......it's by Hewlet-Packard and intended for Industrial/Medial control systems.

I wrote the diagnostics software for Rover 75/New Mini Parking Aid, Climate Control & Sunroof on Testbook 2.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The info's on the web somewhere - someone was selling circuit/wiring diagrams a couple of years ago. A mate bought it, built it and it worked. The connectors etc are all standard, OBD2 etc are just "bus" standards that are readily available - translating what the packets mean is manuafacturer specific (except OBD2 which give standard messages for basic high level diagnostics accross all vehicles - in theory anyway).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I can't find the info on the web regarding the exact wiring of the leads. I just need the CDs to start with & have the resources available to make it work.

Cheers, Chris.

beamendsltd wrote:

Reply to
chris

chris> I know that this has been doubtless covered hundreds of chris> times, but I need a full set of TestBook CDs. I believe chris> that we could achieve the holy grail & make them work on an chris> ordinary laptop.

Testbook in it's latest guise needs the hand-held tester to communicate with the vehicle. It has an ethernet interface on one end, and the OBD-II diagnostic connector on the other. It doesn't use the serial port on the laptop at all. The HHT will also function on it's own to do limited diagnostics.

I tried doing all this about two years ago - then said bollocks and bought a Rovacom as it was cheaper than the HHT, even loaded with all the software for a P38A.

I started off thinking it was easy, and then I found out why it wasn't as easy as I thought.

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

The OBD-II port is RS485 link isn't it ? There was an Elektor project recently to provide a OBD-II to 232 link.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

ADB uttered summat worrerz funny about:

And here was me thinking the book of lies was complicated :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D