Re-shelling a Disco II

Just a quick question...

Whats peoples thoughts on buying an accident damaged Disco II and re-shelling / re-pannellingit?

Is it as easy as my 90? I'm guessing not.

Also, are new shells available? From what I have seen of the one that I have just been offered (photos only), only the roof, rear door and bonnet look salvagable, the rest will need replacing. Chassis is supposedly still straight and is drivable. 2000, TD5. Dont know cost yet.

Any thoughts? Clearly this wouldl be a project and a means to me owning a decent Disco at the end. Question is, is it likely to cost me more than it'll end up being worth. Im an OK mechanic with room to work and access to a chap that is a bodyshop guy (mates rates).

Cheers Jon

Reply to
Jon

DII bodyshells do come up occasionally in the back pages of the mags, so it's possible. I wasn't looking for one, so didn't really look at prices, but I seem to think they were in the 1-2 grand region. And there will be a LOT of work involved. Compared to a Defender, there is the inner body frame to consider before you get to the outer panels, lots of welding, masses more complex systems (depending on model). Getting things to line up and actually work would be a nightmare IMO. Remember, it is essentially the same as a P38 Rangie under the skin. I wouldn't touch it, even as a "project". By the time you've bought the shell and the donor, and the million and one other things you will need to put them together, I doubt if you'd save much. MY2000 Td5s are going for under 10 grand these days.

Reply to
Dave P