THOUGHTS ON SERIES RANGEY AXLE

hiya,

rigght, call me mad if you want or stupid, or Andy if you want, but, ive got a defender front axle complete with disc brakes and everything else that goes on the axle.

my thoughts were to fit it to a leaf sprung series. giving maybe better turning ???

and deffinatley better stopping,

is there going to be a problem with the steering??? what would i need?

not an awfull problem mounting the leaf mounty type things to hold the axle to the leafs, just wondered if it would be easier to cut the axle tube and weld it to the series axle giving me the disk brakes.

id cut it inboard of the swivel flange .

just been racking my brians to think of anything else i can do with the axle, doesnt realy matter how radical it is, if it works .

so has anyone done this or anything else like it.

thanks guys

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

A number of people have done this sort of thing - usually with Range Rover axles. There are a number of problems, including the wider track and different diff ratios, but the biggest difficulty is that the Defender setup has the track rod going through where the the leaf springs go. There are various ways round this, but the most sensible seems to be to have the springs spaced down below the axle housing a sufficient amount to allow the track rod to go across unchanged.

It would normally be cheaper, easier, and better overall to sell the leaf spring Landrover and buy a Defender, but as I said, a number have done this. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around 3 Jun 2004 22:40:56 GMT, Andy enlightened us thusly:

you'll need a rear one as well. RR or 90 would do. You've got different diff ratios, which will only work on a series if you have 'em both the same.

Either that or fit the series front diff to the newer axle, which I suspect may be possible.

I'd not cut axles tubes, meself. remove the spring mounts and weld 'em to the axle you want.

As someone else said, steering rods might foul springs. You'd have to play with it. ISTR hearing that you can fit the steering arms off the series to move the rods into the right places, but I don't know that to be so.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Is it? RR/Def axles are wider, and the number of splines is different, so which half-shafts would you use?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

early RR and 90/110 diffs all had 10 spline diffs, the same as series later ones had the 24 spline diffs so the series diff would fit the axle same as a RR diff fits a series axle

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

On or around Fri, 04 Jun 2004 13:09:01 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

it may not of course. But I've heard of it being done the other way, RR diffs into series axles, to up the gearing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

yeah, ive got rangey diffs in at the moment plus the overdrive and

750x16`s on and the top speed is somewhere around 85-90 mph.

ive had 85, with more pedal travel avaible, just lost the bottle to try it.

as far as i know, its only the driving flanges that are 24 splines on the newer ones, the diff side is still 10.

just goping to get my spare front series axle and a cold beer,and my reclining garden chair to sit, drink and ponder the dilema before me.