Timing Belt

How difficult is it to replace a timing belt on a 300Tdi?? Or is it best to let the garage do the work??

Thanks Terry

Reply to
Tessa

How mechanically savvy are you, and what's your collection of tools like?

Reply to
EMB

There not very dificult... if you'r used to doing timing belts! The 300TDi is easier than the 200, but there can be problems along the way... removing the viscous fan can be tricky! They ether come off fairly easly or in the worse case can need an air chisel! You'd need a very thin or special tool spanner to remove it. Think its a 32mm and its a left hand thread. The crank pully nut is a 27mm (again if memory serves me ok) and will be tight.. requiring a good bracker bar. If you've got these off ok then the belt isn't bad! Worth checking the engine doesn't need the pully kit whilst your in there. If this lot sounds like its bordering on ultra dificult then I'd take it to a garage. Hope this helps! Toby

Reply to
TVS

Be sure to check for ; abnormal belt wear, due to misaligned pulleys- would need a mod ( friend tells me the real reason is wrong torque applied to casing bolts , this then causes the distortion ? ) Also the front oil seal while timing cover is off, easy to do.

Garage £ 198 all done

John H Kent

Reply to
Hirsty's