Tire question for Disco

My wifes 95 we recently aquired is in need of tires, and I would like to put a slightly taller tire on it, and also am considering not going with an H rated tire like it calls for.

I usually buy tires at Costco, which rules out both of the above, unless I want to install them myself.

I see no real need to have an H rated tire on this vehicle, but to be safe should I stick with them?

I am also curious as to how tall of a tire I can go with in wheel wells without going to a lift kit..

TIA

Reply to
Glen

...and Glen spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Largest standard size is 235/70. I have recently fitted 245/70 with no problems, and it's had a good workout offroad to show up any problems with rubbing. These are 10mm wider and slightly taller. I have standard suspension.

has some helpful info. You can go as high as you like, but when you get to 235/85 some bodywork mods will be required.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Thanks - did you go with H rated tires?

Reply to
Glen

...and Glen spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

S rated.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:50:44 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. I forget what S translates to. 's probably enough, though. I've only ever had a disco up to 100 on the clock, and then only briefly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

180km/h (112mile/h)

(L is 120 km/h, then in 10km/h steps through to U (excluding O), then H (210), V (240) and others of even less relevance to Solihull's finest.

Reply to
Autolycus

Although if you plough into a queue full of old grannies at a bus-stop and your vehicle is wearing tyres of a lower rating than the manufacturer advises you would probably find yourself in deeper doo-doos.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

That was my thinking, I can see why Costco only will stick to manufacturs spec's, but an H rated tire on a Disco seems like ridiculous overkill IMHO.

Btw, is the H rating right on the tire? The michelins I currently have dont have anything on the sidewalls implying that they are H rated...

Reply to
Glen

It should be after the size eg: 235/70R16 96H

Reply to
EMB

What are Costco's prices like for tyres?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:47:38 -0000, "Autolycus" enlightened us thusly:

spose a 3.9 V8 *might* get up to 112. I've just about got the 300 TDi up to

100, after tweaking it.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

I think 112 is actually the listed top speed. I've seen it on the speedo, but wouldn't wanted to need to stop in a hurry. And you can hear the slurping from the fuel pump....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

This might be a stupid question but................. Do you need larger wheels to put the larger tyres on ?

(I currently have 205 80 R16 on my Disco and want some AT tyres, but there arent many available in that size) ray

Reply to
ray newport

On or around Sat, 26 Nov 2005 06:38:39 -0000, "ray newport" enlightened us thusly:

you can put 235/70 on the standard disco rims, also 235/85 if you solve the bodywork issues; and as Richard says, 245/70 also.

I'd have thought there were 205R16 in most of the makes, though. Tend to reckon that 205R16 look too skinny on a disco though.

hmmmm. looking at Bronco's site...

205R16 AT-type 50/50 type tyres:

Goodyear Wrangler Radial Avon Ranger AT Fulda Multitrac Nankang Wild Conqueror

they don't sell pirelli

AT-type tyres not available in 205R16:

Goodrich AT-KO Dunlop Grand Trek AT2 Goodyear AT/R Fulda Tramp Tour

disco rims are 7J16 IIRC, and will take the tyre width. People put 235/85 on LWB series rims, which are narrower, with no obvious ill-effect. They're a bit wide for SWB rims though.

235 width look "right" on discos, though, to me. We had 205s on one of ours, and they look skimpy.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

...and ray newport spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

They are on standard Land Rover Freestyle alloys. BFG All Terrains - the canine's reproductive equipment.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sat, 26 Nov 2005 13:38:50 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

except for that muddy bit you found...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

...and Austin Shackles spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Muddy! That was chocolate mousse with grass on top. A compromise tyre, the canine's reproductive equipment for most situations and ground conditions. Pretty useless for a) fitment to rear of F1 car driven by Ralf Schumacher and b) for soggy mud of greater than axle depth. Steve with his bar-grips *was* on the dry bit when he pulled me out, after all.

I'll live with that.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:49:32 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

FSVO dry, but fair cop. ATs aren't made for thick mud, anyway.

was impressed by how well the old avon rangemaster copes, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I find that usually no one can come close to Costco, for michelins for my diesel truck anyway. No one could come within 25$ per tire.

Plus they will rebalance / rotate as many times as you want, and never quibble on warranty stuff, at least thats been my experience.

cheers

Reply to
Glen

Why do I get the feeling Glen isn't in the UK. B-) Costco (UK) only do Michelins, I'll bear that price difference in mind when I come to buy the next set.

Presumably only for tyres purchased and fitted by them? Sounds to good to be in the UK...

I'm cultivating my local dealer and I'm pretty pleased with the service I have got from them, Lloyds, Carlisle. The service manager himself changed the fuel filter and switch when it arrived on the back of the recovery wagon around 1900 at night. I suspect they'd balance rotate for free if I asked at the time of a service/MOT etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice