Tool failure (not rude)

I'm overhauling the rear brakes on the disco before the weekend ( between pigeon decoying sessions ). To make the job easier I have just been under freeing off the caliper bolts which are 4 b*st*rd tight and also 13 mm bihex .Sods law my 13mm 1/2 in bihex sockets are long reach so they will not fit in due to the lower spring mounting plate makes me wish I hadn't cobbed out the old manky ones when I got the sets of true hex sockets. I suppose if you have a decent 13mm the moral is put it somewhere safe you never know! Derek

Reply to
Derek

It sounds as though you've loosened yours, but a cautionary word never to select a socket for this job by its nominal size. Always select one that is a very tight (even hammer on tight) fit so that you don't risk rounding off the head. If you do damage the head you will have a major headache! Get it right first time: you're unlikely to get a second chance.

Reply to
Dougal

Spot on that man. I use an old bi-hex 1/2" A/F socket as it's a good tight fit but if they're knackered then I have been known to hammer on a 12 point

12mm. That usually shifts them, then fit new bolts. Quality sockets are a necessity, cheap ones won't do.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I wholeheartedly agree and the reason for replacing the (Kamasa) socket set in the first place, after 35+ years of use and abuse they had worn enough to be suspect including a couple I split no prizes for guessing how I did that ( see above). I do still have a few short reach bihex that are pukka mostly Britool. The boltsare markedly good once the surface muck was brushed away the sockets fitted nice and tight aside from the one which is going to cost me a new socket for ease of access.Luckily there is a tool factors on the way back from the farm. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Job done took a bit longer than expected as I had to degrease two bearings and repack them. and of course it rained . Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Wed, 2 Jul 2008 22:12:29 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

1/2" 12-points are good on these things. You need a long socket for the front ones and a short one for the back, or vice versa...

but a GOOD 13mm will do it if the bolts are in good nick.

1/2" is 12.7mm :-)
Reply to
Austin Shackles