Tyre Pressure

I have 205 r 16 tyres fitted to my 1986 2.5 N/A Diesel 110 12 seater, the hand book I have does not give pressures for these tyres fitted to the 110 it only states for 7.50 - 16. I would like to know the FULL load pressures (Radial) as we use her for towing and usually carry at least six people mostly on road.

Reply to
HITMAN

The reason that it's not in the handbook is because the 205R16 is potentially overloadable. I don't believe that it is officially sanctioned by Land Rover.

The standard 205R16 is load rated at 99 - 1550 kg per axle. The 205R16 reinforced is load rated at 104 - 1800 kg per axle.

The maximum rated rear axle load of the lowest rated 110 (with self leveller) is 1750 kg which is too much for a standard 205R16! An unlevelled 110 rear axle is rated at 1850 kg which is over the limit even for the reinforced 205R16.

You can, of course, safely run with axle loads within the tyres' capacity but your insurers and the boys in blue may take some convincing.

Reply to
Dougal

Thank you for that. Then I should replace them for 7.50 - 16 to be on the safe side, do you know the loading limits for the 7.50 - 16 as a matter of interest? Assuming the correct wheel rims are fitted for the 205 tyres would I be able to fit the 7.

50 tyres to them?
Reply to
HITMAN

7.50R16 is one option. The lowest rated has a 108 load index - 2000 kg per axle. You'll need at least a 5.50" wide rim.

Some people are saying that 7.50R16 are becoming hard to come by: I don't know. The 235/85R16 is very similarly dimensioned.

You need to be aware of some of the downsides of going to the 7.50R16 - There is less braking effort, acceleration will be worse (if that's possible!)

There are some other sizes between these extremes which may do what you need. We have some tyre experts on this group - they may come along with advice.

Reply to
Dougal

The 205R16 MTs I have sitting here are rated at 108 - 2000 kg per axle. The ATs on my neighbour's vehicle are rated at 110 - 2120kg per axle. I don't see the issue you raise as valid Dougal.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:33:17 GMT, "HITMAN" enlightened us thusly:

they're undersized. The normal "metric" fitment is 235/85R16

and I generally used to run those on the CSW at 36 all round, unless doing heavy towing or weight carrying, when I put the rears up to about 40 or more.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:22:28 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

worth checking the tyres though, it doubtless depends on which tyre.

205R16 are undersized on the 110, though, and not a recommended fitment, and may cause inaccurate speedo readings as well.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

I know, but given that the vehicle in question is a 2.5NA Diseasel 110 it's probably intentional so that it has some semblence of acceleration.

Reply to
EMB

Can't disagree if they are rated as you quote. The common ones in the UK are not.

Reply to
Dougal

That's interesting as neither set was purchased as anything other than "ordinary" tyres in 205R16 for fitment to a SWB Series.

Reply to
EMB

But worse top end speed. Plus Land-Rover do NOT sanction their fitment, and in the event of a crash, the insurance are going to use this as an excuse not to pay up.

Stuart

Reply to
srtgray

Do LR sanction any of the other alternative sizes that are commonly used eg 31/10.5R15?

Reply to
EMB

On or around Mon, 12 Nov 2007 07:58:08 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

dunno, but 2 wrongs don't make a right. To fit 13/10.5R15 requires non-standard wheels, which is another point - although if the wheels and tyres are sold for a LR then they should be suitable for the purpose.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:13:12 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

although that would be a clever bit of tyre manufacture. should be 31 of course.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

They were only fitted on 90s Speedo reading will be fast - so at least that is on the side of caution.

Reply to
hugh