Unofficial - Insurance

Humour or popcorn?

I've heard of this popcorn stuff, but humour seems to be in short supply in here ;)

Reply to
Tim Jones

Did I say that?

I said I'll always speak true to my mind. Isn't it a little sad refelection if thats regarded as cause for abuse?

You may also care to note the smiley on the end of the quote you've gone off on one about.

Reply to
Tim Jones

Not in so many words but you have made sweeping comments about a community that's been here some time, and peppering such comments with insincere smilies doesn't help.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Sun, 20 May 2007 10:35:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com (Tim Jones) enlightened us thusly:

Both, I hope.

not really. There are quite a few strong-minded individuals, though, yourself (and me) included; it can make for the occasional fireworks.

Actually, I don't reckon any of the usual incumbents are stupid or wotever.

and while EMB for example actually did type that vehicles can fall over by themselves, that's not what he meant. What he meant (I think) was that unexpected and more-or-less unpredictable things can happen when off-road. You can reduce the risk of this by studying the ground properly, but sooner or later something will jump up and bite you. The case of the ground collapsing is an obvious one, and it might not be obvious - sometimes, ground can appear perfectly sound but has been undermined by something and it really won't show until it's got half-a-ton of land-rover wheel planted on it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You are a muppet.

The comment you took objection to was directed at myself and the smiley was entirely sincere.

I suggest you refrain from condemning others until you are more capable of judging their sincerity.

Reply to
Tim Jones

Thats where we differ quite strongly then. Abusive replies directed at folks merely because their opinions differ from our own are a sign of intolerance and stupidity IMO.

Usenet allows a lag between typing and hitting the send button that is more than adequate for any intelligent and reasoning person to edit out the unecessary abuse.

It is perfectly possible to be strong minded AND keep a civil tongue in ones head.

Reply to
Tim Jones

And you need to learn how to read! You and julian seem to think that I supported EMB's exploding c*ck or however you want to put it, which I never did.

That sentence doesn't make any sense.... I don't think I've objected to any comment that was directed at you.

I suggest you learn how to use threading news software, this isn't a web forum you know!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Did I say anything of the sort?

The problem we have here is that you seem to be making some major assumptions and then jumping in with both feet to criticise things I never even said.

Don't overlook the fact that it may have been a comment that I directed at myself.

If it was someone elses comment I'd have used said "directed at me" as opposed to "directed at myself"

Do try and keep up at the back ;)

My responses have been made directly to comments that I've quoted imediately above my replies. Are you really incapable of understanding without the assistance of threading software?

Reply to
Tim Jones

A question - so I will provide the answer:

Because as a relative newcomer to this NG I can sit on the fence and offer my non-judgemental unbiased opinion. That's in contrast to the one or two longstanding posters (and that's about all there are on this NG - think about that too) who huddle together and close ranks.

Notwithstanding the above it only took me a few ticks to discover who offered the poorest signal to noise ratio!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

It's life, get over it.

Utopia is what your looking for, you'll not find it.

Reply to
Nige

On or around Sun, 20 May 2007 12:28:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com (Tim Jones) enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. true. however, in the past I've certainly posted things that in hindsight would have been better not posted, and it's easily done in the heat of the moment.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No, the problem is you have an aggravating way of expressing yourself which invites responses, and from the way you are continuing with it, you're crossing over into the realm of the troll.

The reason I started having a go at you in the first place was because of sweeping comments you made about AFL regulars regarding our attitudes to insurance, incorrect ones as it happens.

Now I can't be arsed to take this any further, it's a nice day outside and I don't want to spend any more of it in your company.

You haven't always directly quoted what you're rambling about, and my comment about threading software was about my feeling that you were going off on the same tangent as Julian, it seems you either weren't, or are talking your way around it.

Anyhow, bye!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Nigel, have you got 'flu or something?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I referred to insurance once and once only, when I observed that it was unlikely to be covered by mainstream insurance policies and commented that I felt this was fair enough as most people don't off road and shouldn't share the cost of the associated risks. The rest of my alleged insurance comments seem to be a steadily growing myth emanating from a number of posters who don't bother to read before jumping into the fray.

Bollocks! I have always quoted or referred to what I am talkng about. You just seem to have chosen to assume that my quotes relate to other issues as well.

Reply to
Tim Jones

Tim Jones uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Mind your head sir.

Reply to
Lee_D

Que ;)

Reply to
Tim Jones

Julian uttered summat worrerz funny about:

FFS!

Go on then define long-standing and we'll see.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I emailed the chap in question on either Saturday or Friday (whenever you sent that link) and will see if he says anything, if he's not replied later in the week and I don't grumble about it then that means I've forgotten so prod again, I'm interested to see what they say too. And they're not my mates BTW, never met them and never will.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Sun, 20 May 2007 15:26:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com (Tim Jones) enlightened us thusly:

actually, to be completely fair, what you said was:

which while it says more or less the same as your statement above is a good deal more provocatively worded, you must admit. Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it.

not that this excuses gratuitous abuse, I grant you. However, I'm not immune to the gratuitous abuse trait meself, on occasion, so it's hardly fitting for me to comment too much about that. I once had a "discussion" with a chap in a car park, who apparently could lip-read, following my commenting on his driving from what I thought was the safety of my own vehicle :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 20 May 2007 16:51:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com (Tim Jones) enlightened us thusly:

have to say, I've yet to tip one. got the 110 wagon quite close once, thanks to an unexpectedly slippery bit which pitched a front wheel down more of a hole than I was aiming at. But although it *felt* exciting, it didn't go over.

I also parked Edward on a bank the other day at the side of a layby - maybe

25 degree side-slope, and it sure as hell feels like it's gonna tip, but according to the advertising, that leaves about 20 degrees leeway. I really don't fancy being in one at 45 degrees though.
Reply to
Austin Shackles