"Austin Shackles" wrote........

I really

Wussy :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

"Austin Shackles" wrote........

I once had a "discussion"

Must have been one of them foreigners if he was watching you in his mirror, them as reads right to left. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Me either, and I hope to carry on saying that for a long time yet!

So what *is* the theoretical limit then, in the aforementioned 110 wagon? I was out playin a fortnight ago at Tixover and managed to cross up the CSW thus -

I dont think thatwas anything *close* to tipover point, but bugger me it felt worryingas it fell left when I crossed the ridge line!

Reply to
nullified

So pay for your opwn insurance is provocative?

I think there are a few to many raw nerves around here ;(

Reply to
Tim Jones

As you approach 45 degrees you tend to start wondering if your vehicle maintenance is up to scratch ;)

Reply to
Tim Jones

If you have to wonder whether your maintenance is up to scratch then the vehicle shouldn't be on the road.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Sun, 20 May 2007 23:39:27 GMT, nullified enlightened us thusly:

I think they stopped advertising 45 degrees quite a while ago. The 110 adverts I think said 40. However, that's under ideal conditions - a 30 degree side-slope with an un-spotted lump or hole in the wrong place can put you over in real life.

The dynamics are important. As you point out, in that situation where you had yours, it swings from one extreme to another - do it too fast and the momentum will take it over.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

OK.

Hands up everybody who has never, ever had a mechanincal failure of any kind whatsoever?

Hands up everybody who believes that all mechanincal failures are acts of god?

We're all fallible, whether we admit it or not.

Reply to
Tim Jones

The current fad for 2", 4" and sometimes even 8" lifts can't help very on cross .slopes

I'm on the lookout for a cheap, tatty but serviceable diesel LR at present, MOT entirely optional. A lift and the consequent raised CoG seems somewhat counter productive when you're working on side-slopes with heavy loads a lot of the time ;(

I know a few who claim that the faster you go the safer it is as you iron the bumps out. I suppose that at least you'd have less time to take fright before the accident happened ;)

Reply to
Tim Jones

Very true in my case and obviously yours, but some people have to rely on and trust someone else.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

They will be few and far between as should the mechanical failures.

I don't think you will have many takers for that particular option.

True.

You missed the hands up for others who expect or don't expect a mechanical failure.

There are also people who know a mechanical failure is imminent but don't GAF.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

PLEASE don't start again :)

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Bear in mind that if a vehicle is used on the road, its easy to pick up the tiny vibration that heralds a failure. If its only used off road not only will the vibration be less apparent but the extra wear and tear will reduce the time/mileage to failure You have to rely on your ability to pick up impending failures when servicing. I know I'm not perfect and it is therefore always in the back of the mind if I do something to extreme.

So far nowt catastrophic has happened, but its the same as mistakes when off roading, it could happen tomorrow. It always wise to bear that possibility in mind.

I'd wouldn't trust a mechanic who thought he was totally infallible. So why should I believe I'm any better. There's a very fine line between perfection and complacency.

Reply to
Tim Jones

On or around Mon, 21 May 2007 08:41:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com (Tim Jones) enlightened us thusly:

up to a point, it's true, especially for holes. if you're going faster, the wheel doesn't drop into the hole fully. However, hitting a lump with the uphill wheel on a side-slope, I doubt going faster has much benefit, and could, by increasing the energy of the whole system, make it more likely to go over.

of course, hitting a large lump implies poor observation of the terrain, and we none of us do that :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Always expect the unexpected ;)

Reply to
Tim Jones

I give up. I never felt anything before the belt jumped off my cassette player, I think that was mechanical. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

The main problem I have with speed on rough terrain is the head shaped dents in the roof ;)

Reply to
Tim Jones

I don't want to, I've enough to think about. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Cassette player?

Thats a bit posh. I have to sing to myself in my proper LR ;)

Reply to
Tim Jones

Don't we all. But thinking it extreme situations does give that little bit of extra motivation to check things over ;)

Reply to
Tim Jones