Unusal MGB for sale on ebay

Anyone fancy a rather unusual MGB ??? I've seen similar things done with a TR7, Volvo 240 estate and a Morris Minor but this the first MGB I've seen. Cheers

Bill

Reply to
Bill Scarab

Bill,

I think you may have forgotten something

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

"Lee_D"

Might this be it?

Read the description (pictures not recent, no doors etc) - sounds a bit dodgy to me.

DaveP

Reply to
Dave Pseudonym

Well, Abby wants a small sports car type thing, and I want a Range Rover. So it could be perfect! I'll ring around the insurers later so they can all have a laugh.

David.

Reply to
David French

- are children safe at Land Rover events?=================================================================

This vehicle is not, and never could (in its current form) be road legal in the UK. A bloody good fun toy all the same, though!

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On or around Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:17:09 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

well, it'd need some serious wheelarch eyebrows, I guess... apart from that, can't see anything obvious. Presuming that the apparently-shortened chassis has been done properly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The wheelarches were what initially sprung to my mind but thinking on a little from there, I recall that a vehicle which is substantially different from that which was intended has to be on a Q plate and re-inspected as if it were a kit car. Someone will natrually correct my failling memory here :-)

I'd still like it though, if only to say I have a 4x4 MG sports car!

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Oh, I dunno.

DVLA Points System:

Chassis/body shell = 5 Suspension = 2 Axles = 2 Transmission = 2 Steering Assembly = 2 Engine = 1

I count 9 points without the chassis or body, so therefore the vehicle could be registed as a Range Rover. Assuming the chassis was ever registered as one (probably wouldn't be as it came from Rover)

However: "If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used an SVA certificate will be required to register the vehicle and a 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated."

The problem would be with the shortening of the chassis, this would invalidate the claim as a modified chassis results in a Q-plate, seemingly regardless of the points. It all depends on wether you actually tell them in the first place.

Personally I think you'd get away with it if the vehicle was originally a RR, registered on the road and you had the documents for it. Failing that, a set of documents for another Rangie ;)

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Hi!

I remember seeing a neat 2-seat home-made 'sports car' built on a modified Range Rover chassis. The engine / transmission was moved back and the front and rear propshafts swapped around. It was bodied in riveted aluminium, unpainted. It looked a bit like a Caterham 7 on steroids. I wonder if it's still about (south west area), or indeed if its owner posts on here!

Cheers, Rick

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

^^^^^^^^ ^

I really hate to be pedantic again - twice in two days and all that, but....

I think you mean a LOTUS 7

Dunno what a "Caterham 7" is, prolly some LOTUS 7 lookalike?

KAR 120C would not like any mistakes... May even resign...

6 of the best...

Be seeing you...

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

As far as I can tell Caterham actually acquired the license for the 7 from Lotus, so Caterham 7 is as accurate as Lotus 7.

The Caterham 7 isn't actually a Lotus 7 lookalike. It is a Lotus 7.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Paul, You are quite correct. Graham Nearn of Caterham Cars, one of Lotus' dealers, bought the sole rights to manufacture the Seven and all rights to the name and design in 1973 when Lotus wanted to drop it from their line-up because it no longer portrayed the right image. Caterham have developed and improved the original Seven in a Landrover-esque evolutionary way (except with the added benefit of quality!) So a Caterham 7 is actually a Lotus 7 built properly. All the best, Giles

Reply to
giles evans

On or around 11/10/03 12:14 am, Mother using , in article ID snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, scribbled:

Isn't the Caterham based on the Lotus anyway?

Same as the Stryker sportscar built in Ireland :-)

Reply to
Llandrovers

On or around 11/10/03 1:08 pm, giles evans using , in article ID 3f87f0c4$0$11450$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynet.co.uk, scribbled:

As I thought then, same as the Stryker.

Reply to
Llandrovers

But it's not a Lotus...

I do not disagree that Caterham saved the 7 after Lotus lost their direction, however, it's simply 'not' a Lotus. The Westie is not a Lotus, either. They're all '7s', but not all Lotus. This is pedantic.

I dare say many would immediately recognise the shape of a 7, and most would 'call it' a Lotus 7, whether it's a Caterham or Westie - however, a lot of people look at a Land Rover and call it a J**p.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On or around Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:14:36 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

erm...

Caterham Cars built Lotus 7s under licence after Lotus stopped making 'em, and have developed the model since along lines that Lotus might well have followed had they continued making it.

so you're both right. The Caterham 7 is a legit marque in its own right now, built on the Lotus 7 design, suitably updated.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:53:51 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

however, the original comment was that it looked like "a Caterham 7 on steroids", which was valid in its own right.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, and built a lot better, I'll agree. But please stop talking sense, _my_ point was that it isn't a Lotus.

Going back to where this started, the statement was 'looked like a Caterham 7' - my (pedantic) point was that the Caterham was not a Lotus. It may very well have been the Lotus 7 Mk2 in real terms and I'd certainly have prefered it if my Lotus 7 were built as well, but the Caterham is _not_ a Lotus. Confused? Let me try to clarify;

Let's s'pose that when BMW purchased Land Rover, or now, with Ford owning Land Rover either had decided to make the vehicle sooo much better, with no oil leaks, trim that stays in place etc, but wanted to change the Marque name, so we'd now have The BMW Discovery, or the Ford Defender. Do you think in years to come that people would look at something which was similar to a Ford Defender and say 'it looked like a Ford', or would they say 'it looked like a Land Rover'?

I'm no purist, but a Lotus is a Lotus :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother