Use the M6 Toll, yes but don't have a puncture!

On my way to the Outdoors Show this morning I used the M6 Toll road, as I've done several times since it opened, paying £2 for the privilege. This morning, however, when I stopped at the toll booth they tried to charge me £5, so I pointed out that I had always been charge £2.

I was told because I had my spare wheel on the bonnet the machine was registering a £ 5 charge. When I pointed out that this was ridiculous as it was the same vehicle, the lady in the booth rang the supervisor, who said that on this occasion sh could charge me £2, I suspect mainly due to the queues forming on the motorway behind me. She then suggested I should remove my spare next time I came down the road. At this point I said goodbye, telling the lady in the tool booth that she ought to listen to BBC Radio WM at 10.00, as she was likely to be on it!

At ten o'clock I told my story to the local s**t stirring presenter who absolutely lapped it up. Apart from posting here, I shall also be sending emails to the local press, national press and Land Rover Press, as well as local TV. This sort of stupidity needs to be stamped out at source, as if no one tells them they will thing they've got it right. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

So what difference do they think it makes that the spare wheel is on the bonnet?

What other vehicles are likely to carry one there anyway?

Reply to
David G. Bell

I don't get it, don't all cars carry a spare? I've been through a few times in my Shogun, with the spare on the rear door, surly that's just as visable?

Reply to
heckflosse

I'm guessing, not having been up that road myself, but is the toll computerised at all? As in does it try and tell the difference between a car and a van automatically?

If it does then the extra height of the tyre on the front could fool the computer into thinking it's looking at a van.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

If you take certain vehicles to your local recycling centre they may refuse you entrance as they deem your vehicle and therefore the contents "commercial!!!"

Reply to
Adam

Look on the positive side, if you sling it underneath you can demand to pay only £1 :-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

How many tolls do they have? Say they have 8, all you need to do is find 8 LR owners with bonnet-mounted tyres, pitch up at the same time and take a toll each. That would highlight the problem alright. Although you might antagonise other motorists a little.

David

Reply to
David French

My spare is on the roof, I wonder what that means ?

Reply to
Larry

Not if we divert the Hertiage run [1]...though it could cost a bit in fuel to make the point.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I read somewhere that they have sensors that measure the height of the vehicle at the first axle, above a certain height and the computer tells the booth its a van or something like that.

We went down it on the day it opened just for the hell of it (got a certificate too!) when we pulled up at the booth it was flashing £5 but when the operator saw the family in the disco he changed it to £2.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Ward

How much do they charge lorries? :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Apparently the problem is the fact that the computer measures the height above the first axle, but surely common sense has to come into the equation somewhere.

I just feel that if I can get enough publcity for this they might do something about it through sheer embarassment.

John

Reply to
John Stokes

In message , Larry writes

Means you only get charged £2.00.

As someone has already said it is determined by the body height above the front axle - so MPVs get charged as vans.

Reply to
hugh

Twas Fri, 2 Apr 2004 22:27:58 +0100 when "Lee_D" put finger to keyboard producing:

Mines on the bonnet... ;o)

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

If get as many people e-mailing them why it costs an extra £3 to carry our wheels on the bonnet, they'll soon get the idea!

heckflosse

Hmm, I suppose the 101FC ambulance would be optimistic to convince the computer as being a 'car'

Daniel

Dan

Well, there is an argument that it should be classed as a Range Rover

- albeit a little shorter :-)

Reply to
Mother

Certainly not, a proper Landrover does not have coils.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

In message , Dan writes

I think you might struggle a bit

Reply to
hugh

£10 for trucks :(

Haven't been up the toll road yet, will stick to the M6 anyway and the company has banned the work trucks on the Toll Road. Oh well

Ltwt

Reply to
Ltwt