V8 110 Gear box

The front main shaft bearing on my V8 110 LT85 lightweight type gear box has been rumbling for the last 20 000 miles.(Depressing clutch shuts it up) 'Spose it is time to look at it. Is it a big job? The box splits vertically, does this help? Should I just get a re con?

Pikey, 1989 110 V8 1969 IIA

Reply to
Mike Pike

Are you sure it's not the clutch release bearing?

Reply to
Adrian England

My thoughts also, and even if it's not, lt85s are notorious for being noisy, it ain't broke (yet) ;-).

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie

Thanks for the input, I will look at this. It's just that I thought that the bearing was a weak point on the LT85.

Reply to
Mike Pike

Chances are its the clutch release bearing, a lot cheaper to fix! Richard

Reply to
Richard

But which way round identifies the fault - the original poster notes that the whine is silenced when the pedal is depressed (the same as mine is), which according to the book is the wrong way round for a clutch release bearing fault, where it states that it will be noisy when the clutch is depressed, not when released?

My 1984 V8 with 4 speed box has done this for the 18 months that I've owned it - noisy when clutch pedal released, silenced when pedal depressed, so I always assumed it couldn't be the release bearing, but I don't know what fault on a 4 speed box would cause it instead.

Reply to
danny

Input shaft bearings. Beth

Reply to
Beth Clarke

Ok, thanks Beth. Since it's done this since I've owned the car (getting slightly noisier through time - 18 months) is it an imminent failure and do you know what the fix is, cost and timewise?

Reply to
danny

Dont know...But I did once have an SD1 with IIRC an LT77 which made an awfull lot of noise and still hadn't gone bang. If you can stand the noise or add more soundproofing, just put up with it. Anything to do with gearboxes is expensive.

Beth

Reply to
Beth Clarke

Actually the noise isn't bad - just like a release bearing, not noticeable at anything over idle speed.

Reply to
danny

Not neccessarily. Some release bearings are more noisey without a load. They then go all quiet when you press the pedal.

Reply to
Adrian England