V8 emissions stuff

OKay, so I've fitted this 1984 Rangie engine, and it even runs (and makes an olympic-size oil slick on the yard, helps if you replace the oil filter before turning it over, also helps if you block off *both* oil-cooler connection points on the filter head...oops x 2; I plead temporary insanity)

...*anyway*, it runs, after a fashion, I daresay it needs retuning.

but what I'm wondering is what to do with the pulsair doofrits on it. Can I just leave 'em open to atmosphere, and let 'em suck air in and do whatever they do?

or can I block 'em, or connect the 2 together with a bit of pipe so that they don't suck anything?

according to the book, they suck air from the air cleaner. Do they do this simply so that the air is filtered, or does it not work if it's not connected to the air cleaner?

having put me finger over the end of one, it does indeed suck air, and I suspect that it's noisy, which might be why it's attached to the airbox, viz. to silence it.

The book says that the air is injected into the exhaust manifold, there to oxidise CO in the exhaust, which seems a reasonable plan, if it works.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Take the pulsair system and throw it in the bin - only thing they are good for!

Reply to
Exit

Blank off the ports on the heads that the pipes screw into, easiest way is to dismantle pipes and weld up pipe hole in union then screw union back in. Also blank off connections to filter elbows, if you're still running with them, Austin. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

you can block the pipes up and run without them , or remove them and run normal exhaust manifolds .

i had a 1985 rangie and removed mine .

could get the emissions down below 0.5% and engine ran all fine .

Reply to
M0bcg

The neater way is to get allen-headed bolts that simply screw in place of the pipes. Got mine from Famour Four.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Cummins

I did it this way too. Got mine from Four Plus 4 in Leeds. This way has the advantage that the little grub screws screw right in and so the heads of them don't get in the way of the tubular manifolds I've got on my 110, which would be a problem with the welded up ends approach.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

On or around Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:02:41 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

done that. not got a RR-style filter, so the other bits don't apply.

seems to be running quite promisingly, bar for a leak in the oil pump. I suspect the iffy gasket which I refitted (no new on available) in the hope that it'd seal again, which it hasn't.

so now I have to pull it off again and re-seal it. luckily, I've a tube of instant gasket somewhere, I think a very-sparing application will be OK - don't really like it as it could get in the works, so will have to apply a delicate layer, so that not too much squidges out the side. either that or some red hermetite on the old gasket, I suppose.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

AAAAARRRGHHH!!!! No, Austin! Get a new gasket and lightly smear the surfaces with grease or petroleum jelly. If you use any form of gasket paste and ANY gets inside, it can cause the pressure relief valve to jam open with disasterous consequences. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:05:37 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

I thought someone would say that. I only used a thin smear of it, and I doubt it'll get in the works, I was quite careful not to smear it where the gears go. This particular gasket stuff is silicone-sort of stuff and seems to set very rapidly - thus, when it was assembled the stuff can't squeeze out of the joint.

I don't have the option ATM, it has to be running on monday morning, at least enough to do about 70 miles a day with the odd oil top-up.

new gasket will be got ASAP, as it still isn't sealing correctly - only a slow leak now though.

meanwhile, bloody steering column caught hold of the oil gauge feed pipe (how, I don't know, it wasn't near it last time I looked - mind you, the old-fahioned type non-collapsing steering columns used to be inside a tube, and thus immune to this danger...) and pulled the f***er off. Hunted around on old engines to find a pressure switch that'd fit, so as to block the hole, and now i've got an oil light instead. Before the gauge pipe got naffed, I was able to observe that the engine has good oil pressure, when it's not all leaking out that is.

Anyone sees an oil pressure gauge pipe kit for sale, I want to know, this one's buggered now. thin copper pipe, 'sall bent a funny shape.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A lot of 'em use nylon pipe these days. I'm pretty sure my local motor factors sell it, or you could give

a call - they've always been helpful for me.

Reply to
QrizB

On or around Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:36:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@dev.nul (QrizB) enlightened us thusly:

so they do. indeed, the previous one did. But this one (bought new about a year ago) had copper. In fact, I prefer the nylon ones, apart from you have to keep 'em clear of the exhaust manifold...

will have a look at lowtension.

hmmm.

googling for TIM gauges (which is what's currently fitted) I can get a complete gauge plus kit at 20 quid from a variety of sources.

aha!

at 8 quid-odd. ain't the web wonderful?

10.57 including vat and postage.

paddock don't have V8 oil pump gaskets, however, except presumably in a bottom end set. So that's going to have to wait for a phone call to real steel.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:28:08 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

mean to add that the VDO gauges, while undoubtedly good, ain't what yer call cheap.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

's true, but they also sell "Sunpro" ones which are, well, a bit of a bargain. I got a set of three - temperature, pressure, amps - for about thirty-five quid via lowtension's eBay operation.

Reply to
QrizB

On or around Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:45:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@dev.nul (QrizB) enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. didn't see those. I did however find a replacement pipe kit as mentioned. TIM one that I've got seems a reasonable gauge, in fact, although I was surprised to see the copper pipe; didn;t think anyone did stuff like that any more.

Reply to
Austin Shackles