V8 gearbox oil

Can anyone help & sort out my confusion? My LR Workshop Manual states that I need Duckhams Hypergrade 15/50 or similar in my gearbox [a V8 so I presume it's a LT 85] & Hypoid 90 in my transfer box. Is this correct? I've been told that I should put automatic transmission fluid in the main gearbox & hypoid in the transfer box [& in the axles]. Many thanks if you can help. Kevin.

Reply to
Kevin W

LT85 & LT95 take 15W/50 engine oil

LT77 & R380 take auto transmission fluid

Transfer box is EP90 unless intergral with gearbox as on LT95

Reply to
Adrian England

R380 is noticeably better on MTF, but it's much more expensive. My gearchanges were much better when I switched to MTF. That said I'm not sure what Warren has just put in, but it isn't actually any worse than the MTF he took out.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On or around Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:07:40 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

local garage use synthetic SAE75 gear oil for R380s etc. Seems to work well enough on the disco.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What is MTF? Never heard of it.

Reply to
Adrian England

On a 101? Standard and accepted wisdom is to use engine oil in everything, apart from axles, which require EP90.

Reply to
Mother