V8 Hydraulic tappets

OK, just been looking at an old one...

the outer housing is solid at the bottom and has a bore inside, it'e waisted in the middle and fits the hole it slides in top and bottom. In the middle bit is a small hole.

Inside, from bottom to top, are a spring and 2 separate hollow pistons, the upper piston has 3 small indents which mean that when it sits on the lower one, there are 3 small holes. Alongside the tappet hole is a pressure oil gallery. The oil clearly gets in through the hole in the side of the tappet, and from there works its way into the inside of the piston, through the 3 little indents.

I assume that surplus oil finds its way out of the tappet past the upper half of the piston, which has no obvious seal.

now the bit that's puzzling me... I can see that when the engine's running and the valve's open, the tappet "pumps up". what I want to know is, how does it let the valve shut?

Is it just that it leaks at a pre-determined speed, such that the normal oil pressure is not too much to overcome the valve springs pushing back down the pushrod?

and now another point: I've a set of non-rover replacement ones, which have been running for about 20K miles. These, compared with the one I've just pulled apart, have a smaller oil feed hole in the side, but they also don't appear to compress against the internal spring the same as the rover ones. I assume they have some oil in 'em, since they've been used, but they can't be under pressure.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You assume correctly, sir.

Magic!

Yep, pretty much so. The oil pressure is a lesser force than the spring.

The clearances are minute, if you apply a constant pressure they will bleed over time. More pressure = quicker bleed down. As the engine is running, the force to open and hold open the valve is greater than the force required to start the valve moving, however the action is over quicker than the oil can bleed to any real degree. The oil pressure alone cannot overcome the valve spring, it's only the action of the cam against the follower's very small bleed (close to a hydraulic lock) tha actually opens it. That's why the cam profile for hydraulic lifters is different to solids, all other things being equal the cam profile has to compensate for the bleed.

Badger. B.H.Engineering, rover V8 engine builders. Landy 110 3.9V8 auto, on gas. BMW330dSE Sport auto, on steroids?

Reply to
Badger