Hydraulic Tappets

Hi

My car is giving me the "hi my hydraulic tappits are knackard noise for the last 20000 miles or so, i have a few questions...

  1. Is there any long term probs caused by leaving the tappets to chartter away geting noisier and noisier, will it cost more in the long run

  1. im not expert mechanic but i have been known to have a bash, hydraulic tappits no thanks... i shall send it to the local friendly mechanic, but how much should i expect to pay? apparently its a "shims and buckets" which might mean somthing to someone on a corsa 1.7D corsa/combo 98 S-Plate.

  2. Out of curiosity whats the job involve?.....pin timing? rocker cover off, cam out, set the shimms and re install?

TIA Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

The whole idea of hydraulic tappets is they're self adjusting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Clearly you won't be doing it yourself because by very definition if it's "shims and buckets" then those are manually adjusted tappets not hydraulic ones. Not knowing that would seem to rule you out as being capable of the job.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

They still rattle when they're knackered, don't they?

Reply to
Makhno

Yes - they can. Although this is often due to poor maintence like overdue oil changes or inferior oil. Short journeys can make them noisy too. And it's possible there's extreme wear on the rest of the valve gear as well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

It doesn't sound to me as if they are knackered. They just need adjusting. They are not hydraulic but manual which need periodic adjustment. This is normally done at service time.

Ignoring any problem for so long (20,000 miles) is likely to have caused excessive wear/damage so it may be difficult to cure the problem fully.

From what you say you do not have much mechanical knowledge/training/experience so leave well alone.

It takes a minimum of 4 years to train a decent technician and even then they have a lot to learn.

Let someone who knows what they are doing do the job.

Reply to
Alan

Fair nuff...

Correct i wasnt thinking of, just out of curiosity, oil/filter change odd bulb, for anything else i use a mechanic

I intend to, just one place said hydraulic tappets, and anther said shims and buckets

Reply to
Tom Burton

suspect like most other things on the car, it well mechanically looked after before i got it since ive had it its had oil changes every 8k or so..... Simply cos i have acess to the oil/disposal and ramp/lift.

Reply to
Tom Burton

If you give the model and year, I'd guess someone here will know which it has.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Paste from OP - Not in an arsey way or nottin' ;)

  1. im not expert mechanic but i have been known to have a bash, hydraulic tappits no thanks... i shall send it to the local friendly mechanic, but how much should i expect to pay? apparently its a "shims and buckets" which might mean somthing to someone on a corsa 1.7D corsa/combo 98 S-Plate.
Reply to
Tom Burton

Yes, usually either because something is worn outside the range they can compensate for, or because dirty oil has jammed them up.

AndyC

--

- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"The world has gone crazy: The best rapper is a white guy, the bestgolfer is a black guy, France is accusing the US of arrogance, andGermany doesn't want to go to war." -- Anon