V8 sump plug

Can't get the damn thing off with the old adjustable (the only spanner I've got that will fit - the rest are too small or too big), so I need a socket and a bar. Of course, all my sockets are up to 1" or in specific larger sizes for particular jobs.

It's a bit over an inch - perhaps 1 1/16" or 1 1/8", or possibly 27 or 28mm. Anyone got the exact size?

FWIW, the engine is out an early Rangie or possibly an SD1.

Many thanks all

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Get thee hence to Difflock (or wherever) and get one of those valve type ones. They make oil changes much easier...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Dunno if this'll work, but try the brace thing that's in your spare wheel kit - used for taking the wheelnuts off...

Dunno if that makes sense - I've got sunstroke I think, and it's gone to my head. Not that it matters, with me being a fish, an all...

Reply to
Mother

If stilsons wont work then try the old faithfull mole grips. That should upset the little darling.

Reply to
bones

I use 1 1/8" on my 1990 110V8. I would guess it's the same.

-- Paul Everett repton at repton dot org

Paul Everett

Yeah, somebody tried that on the drain plug for my SIII's gearbox. Now I can't get the f**king thing out at all.

Hopefully it's got some oil in it, I've done about 500 miles since.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Why would you want to remove the sump plug anyway? Is your rangie not fitted with the landrover patented 'self changing oil system'? Mine has this fitted, the oil leaks just about manage to empty it every 3000 miles, making it a simple job to add the correct amount of oil and a new filter, no messy draining!

Reply to
SimonJ

Yes. I was aiming for one of these semi-smug "I've got a clever plug thingy" posts. Seriously though, they are good, so once he's got the plug out I'd strongly advise not putting it back in!

Then again, I'm totally cack handed and have never managed an oil change without a face full of hot oil and banging my head on the axle as I leap out of the way!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 01:05:48 +0000 (UTC), "SimonJ" made me spill my meths by writing:

I think Triumph motorbikes got there first :)

Reply to
Wayne Davies

My favourite is the oil that runs all the way down your arm and comes out somewhere near your ankles when you change the filter on a 2.25. Who thought of the idea of having the filter housed within a carrier that took two day to undo.....

Just as bad is a 200 tdi Disoc when you are ever so clever to dodge the oil, and then rub your elbow in the puddle that collected on top of the diff as you fit the new filter....

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfirend) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Thanks, but no - wheelnuts are 27mm - *just* too small.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I only use those when it's already mangled beyond repair. The plug is (so far) in good condition. It's leverage I need, not grip IYSWIM.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| Richard Brookman wrote: || ||| It's a bit over an inch - perhaps 1 1/16" or 1 1/8", or possibly 27 ||| or 28mm. Anyone got the exact size? || || I use 1 1/8" on my 1990 110V8. I would guess it's the same. || || -- || Paul Everett || repton at repton dot org ||

That's the one! 1 1/8" translates to 28.6mm. Halford's have nothing between 27 and 30mm. I chanced it and bought the 30mm and (with the help of the handle off the hi-lift) it worked.

Getting there...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| Why would you want to remove the sump plug anyway? || Is your rangie not fitted with the landrover patented 'self changing || oil system'? || Mine has this fitted, the oil leaks just about manage to empty it || every 3000 miles, making it a simple job to add the correct amount || of oil and a new filter, no messy draining!

Actually, no! It is (or was) a shed of a thing out of an early Rangie or SD1 (it has features of both) and has done a Star Trek mileage. When I got the old camshaft out, it was like a bar with small, smooth nobbles on. The new one didn't look like the same part. And yet it leaks about one drop a fortnight.

Perhaps there is something really wrong with it after all...

Reply to
Richard Brookman