Car squeaks when I drive

I'm a female who doesnt know much about cars, and I need some advice. I've noticed that when I drive my car makes a really highpitched squeaking sound. It sounds like the breaks but It doesnt make that noise when i actually press the breaks, only when driving and it seems to be coming from the tires the sound. Any Ideas?

:)

Reply to
ciccolina

Have you had the brakes checked, especially the amount of friction material remaining? Many brake pad sets have a wear sensor, designed to make a noise to let you know when they're seriously worn out. This noise may quieten while the brakes are being used.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

How old is the car?

Reply to
Billy H

Reply to
ciccolina

Reply to
ciccolina

Common with a brake rubbing problem for it to go away when you hit the brakes because whatever was squeaking is put under mechanical tension when the brakes are engaged and can no longer squeak.

What's a lot? If it's upwards of 20-30,000 miles then the pads could be wearing low, depending on the pads.

Normal if you only have a problem on one side, yes. :-)

It could be a seized brake caliper. Next time you take it out for a drive of a few miles or more, immediately after you've finished, touch your fingers against the wheel rim (that's the metal bit inside the tyre hun :-) and see if it's much warmer on one side than the other. Careful though, a seized caliper can potentially get a wheel pretty hot. Normally though you'd expect to see other effects.

Do you get any vibration when you use the brakes? If you brake heavily does the vehicle brake in a straight line or does it try to pull to one side?

Bottom line, whatever it is, you are unlikely to be able to fix it yourself unless you're prepared to start learning and fiddling. If you just want it sorted without getting your hands dirty, take it into a garage you trust, tell them the problem and ask for a free brake check. If you have a Nationwide Autocentre near you, they'll do you a free brake and general safety check. They'll try to make money out of you if they can but I've never known Nationwide actually tell lies about what needs doing (maybe I've just been lucky).

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Sorry, that's not clear. What I meant is, see if the wheel rim on the driver's side wheel is noticeably hotter/cooler than the wheel rim on the passenger side wheel. I DON'T mean that you should see if one side of a wheel rim is hotter than the other side of the same rim!

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Just because it goes quiet when you brake, you can't assume it's not a brake problem. Just the opposite - it's a strong suggestion that the brakes are involved with the noise.

Yes. It's normal for one side to wear out a little before the other does.

Some people, and some traffic conditions, are a lot heavier on the brakes than others. It's more than possible to wear out a set of pads in two years.

Your noise could be from something like a stone caught up somewhere. But because it could mean that the brakes are sticking or excessively worn on one side, it's very important that someone knowledgeable has a quick look. Get a second opinion if you're worried about being ripped off.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Reply to
ciccolina

Is there anyway for me to do it myself? I hate going to a mechanic especialyl being a single, young female, i just know im going to get RIPPED :(

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
ciccolina

If you want to change the pads you may be advised to buy a Haynes manual, but that'd cost you 15 quid give or take a few.

Else what you'll be doing is generally (if you can think in terms of my hip bone is connected to my thigh bone lala etc. it'd be helpful) loosen off oyur brake fluid reservoir cap, take off the wheel, remove the caliper, remove any split pins/retaing screw nuts for covers, prising out or using pliars to pull out the old brake pads. The refit procedure : squeeze down the cylinder(s) replace the pads, fit any wires in place for sender units and replace covers/screws/pins. Refit caliper, refit wheel.

You need some strength to tighten your wheel nuts again.

Don't you know any mechanics? Or boy (or girl) racers??

Somone on here may be able to help you, without giving an address, can you give a region you're in?

Which way are you turning the wheel?

It could be the brake pads or the discs.

Reply to
Billy H

I live in Whitby, Ontario in Canada, and i was turning left.

Billy H wrote:

Reply to
ciccolina

You'll need a workshop manual specific to your model Honda. Assuming you need to fit new brake pads urgently (likely with your "horrible grinding sound"), you'll need to retract the caliper pistons. Some get pushed back, and some need to be rotated (common if the handbrake also works on these pads), so you'll need to know which, and how to do it.

Can a friend or family member recommend a mechanic? Otherwise I'd suggest getting 2 or 3 quotes for this work, and begin learning preventive maintenance so that next time you see the wear before it gets to this critical stage.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

I second John's statements regards friends and numbers of quotes. Couldn't say what it'd cost in Canada. But roadside mechanics work in my terms would cost you a couple of pints down the boozer if I did it on a Saturday afternoon ;) you asked so nicely :o).

It'll obviously cost you more for a mechanic who did the work as part of his professional occupation, could be looking at 30 or 40 quid in England, may take an hour if it doesn't get complicated.

One thing I will say is yuo need you brakes, it's one thing to move, but to stop is more important. Half a tonne at 30mph is quite some energy.

Take it easy for now, until you get it repaired.

Reply to
Billy H

Out of my range. Turning left your weight shifts to the right, does it do it when you turn to the right?

Reply to
Billy H

Could be that the brake pads have worn completely away and you've now got the brake backing pad going metal-on-metal with the brake disc. If so, it will trash the brake disc incredibly quickly. Also braking will be ineffective.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

"There was a maid in Whitby town, she was both fair and clever And she would put up with squeaky brakes, whatever was the weather"

...oooh sorry, came over all folky there.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

I meant to say that, so I second.

But the noise goes when the brakes are applied?

Not normal for metal to metal.

Reply to
Billy H

I took "ciccolina" as saying that there's now a new grinding sound when the brakes are applied, as well as the earlier symptom.

I agree that a disc rotor or two may now be trashed. She may be looking at new rotors as well as pads. And if a seized caliper piston is involved in causing rapid wear, she may be up for a caliper as well.

If she's genuinely interested in doing her own repairs, I suggest that now isn't the time to start.

But if she finds a good amateur "home mechanic" to help her out she may be able to do the work herself under close supervision. That's the best way to learn. Workshop manuals always assume their readers have basic mechanical knowledge, and she'll find that many things she needs to know aren't covered.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Sounds that way, although it could be something else, but I think it unlikely.

Agreed although in my experience brakes are one of the easier jobs (a little bit of manipulation and care with lines is necessary, caution not to stretch or break them, and if she changes calipers it is likely she'd need a friend to help her bleed the system) and brakes are important so it would be worthwhile knowing how the systems at the wheel operate and are refurbed/replaced - especially brake pads. Discs last ten years + mostly, so she's likely to be in need of discs.

I never worked on Honda, but I can't imagine they be much different to any European motor.

haha, I don't like to speak too soon...

Are there any mechanics/engineering groups with canada or ontario in the title? I would be cautious with accepting help form a groupie though, remain very public.

Ciccolina must know at least one person who can throw a spanner about a bit.

Reply to
Billy H